Redundancies seem strange as way to reward success
Published at 14:04, Friday, 18 November 2011
IT WAS disappointing, if not completely surprising, to see that Carlisle City Council has included in its departments facing redundancies the Green Spaces team.
The council’s own website shows the excellent work this department undertakes, and it is to the credit of all concerned that eight Green Flag awards were given to Carlisle parks this year.
I feel sure that all those who participated in the Love Parks Weeks over recent years will agree that these have been highly successful, and, with the partnership of Reay’s Coaches, some parks have been discovered by Carlisle citizens who do not live in the immediate area.
As we discovered in 2005 a city with three major rivers is susceptible to flooding. However, it has also given Carlisle outstanding parks.
The various friends groups enjoy professional support from the Green Spaces team and the work that has been done at Talkin Tarn since it was taken over by the city council shows the botanical, ecological and wildlife expertise available.
In these straightened times it may seem that such a department may be seen as a luxury, but allotments, parks and green spaces are of even more vital importance when travel costs are escalating and many people face enforced leisure.
ADRIENNE GILL, MARK LLOYD, MAGDALENE and ARTHUR PAYNTER, RACHAEL RODWAY and OTHERSRaven StreetCarlisle
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (7 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (28 comments)
- Yobs slaughter animals in sick allotment attack (38 comments)
- Carlisle can't cope with any more budget supermarkets - claim (41 comments)
- New Story Homes estate would leave us hemmed in, claim Carlisle residents
- Deep clean to spruce up Carlisle city centre streets (14 comments)
- Carlisle city centre to get free wifi (23 comments)
- Carlisle Utd should offer manager job to McDonald (14 comments)
- Carr's Table Water biscuits lose Royal stamp of approval (16 comments)