Vow over plans for Carlisle airport from haulage boss
Published at 14:13, Friday, 11 April 2014
Haulage boss Andrew Tinkler says he’s not giving up on Carlisle airport and is working on new plans.
Mr Tinkler confirmed that Stobart Group still believed an airport was viable at Irthington and said they were “pressing ahead” after a High Court judge quashed the previous application’s planning permission.
He spoke out amid the withdrawal of the most recent application to redevelop the site as both a commercial airport and huge freight distribution centre.
A High Court judge has quashed Carlisle City Council’s planning permission, ruling that there continued to be doubt over whether the predicted passenger flights from the airport would ever materialise.
Mr Tinkler said: “We’re working now on putting new plans into place which we’ll be putting before the Carlisle City Council planning committee. There was a mistake in a spreadsheet that was part of the last application which the judge picked up on. But at the end of the day I believe in the airport and I believe that it’s viable.
“My view on that has never changed. This is definitely going to go back in front of the planning authority. We’re not giving up on this.”
Earlier this month, the man who applied for and won last month’s judicial review insisted that there is no evidence to show that a passenger airport could ever be commercially viable.
Gordon Brown said he has never been against the airport but he believes Stobart’s application has always primarily been about winning permission to build a huge freight distribution centre.
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (4 comments)
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (7 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (4 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (29 comments)
- Man arrested after serious Carlisle car crash
- New department store for Carlisle's empty Hoopers building (26 comments)
- Carlisle club once sold for £2m fails to reach auction reserve
- Record deal for Carlisle singer's X Factor group Only The Young
- Story writes-off £1.1m loan to Carlisle Utd (32 comments)