Trolls force Cumbria TV star Helen Skelton to quit Twitter
Published at 07:58, Friday, 03 August 2012
Cumbria's Blue Peter and BBC Olympics presenter Helen Skelton has closed her Twitter account.
She tweeted on Wednesday afternoon that she doesn't have the "thick skin" to handle negative comments directed at her.
Skelton wrote: "Turns out I don't have very thick skin after all so I am closing my twitter account. Enjoy the games. Signing off, skelts x"
It is currently unclear what sparked Skelton's tweet, but it is assumed that she has been sent a negative message from at least one follower.
Her Twitter account was deactivated late on Wednesday evening, although many of her followers encouraged her to stay online.
Writer Graham Linehan came out in support of Skelton by retweeting her message, adding: "Another one down. This is why we can't have nice things."
A teenager has been given a warning and released on bail after he sent offensive tweets to Olympic diver Tom Daley.
Skelton became engaged to rugby player Richie Myler in March.
Skelton received dozens of messages of support from her followers, while others expressed their surprise at the fact that a harmless character such as Skelton could be on the receiving end of unpleasant messages.
In addition to presenting the long-running children's show and Countryfile on the BBC, Skelton has taken part in a number of fundraising treks for Sport Relief, run an ultra-marathon in Namibia and kayaked the Amazon.
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (7 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (28 comments)
- Yobs slaughter animals in sick allotment attack (38 comments)
- Carlisle can't cope with any more budget supermarkets - claim (41 comments)
In west Cumbria
- New Story Homes estate would leave us hemmed in, claim Carlisle residents
- Deep clean to spruce up Carlisle city centre streets (14 comments)
- Carlisle city centre to get free wifi (26 comments)
- Carlisle Utd should offer manager job to McDonald (14 comments)
- Carr's Table Water biscuits lose Royal stamp of approval (16 comments)