Sir Chris Bonington's Olympic torch raises £13,550 for charity
Last updated at 15:05, Friday, 16 November 2012
Sir Chris Bonington is delighted that the auction of his Olympic torch has raised £13,550 for a charity helping people in Nepal.
The mountaineer climbed Snowdon in North Wales as part of the torch relay route and sold the torch in a sealed bid auction to raise money for Community Action Nepal, which is led by his fellow Cumbrian-based mountaineer Doug Scott.
He said: “Being a small charity their overheads are minimal, so it means that practically every single penny raised goes to the recipients who are the people in these little villages in the foothills [of the Himalaya].”
Sir Chris added: “I’m very pleased with the amount raised. I’m sad to see it go but I felt that, rather than hanging on to it, it was much better if it could do some good.”
The money will be spent on several projects including the building of shelters on trekking routes and constructing new schools.
“Quite a few porters are left to fend for themselves and have died from exposure,” Sir Chris said.
The auction closed on Wednesday during a large charity.
The torch will be on display at the Royal Geographical Society.
First published at 14:08, Friday, 16 November 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (7 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (28 comments)
- Carlisle can't cope with any more budget supermarkets - claim (41 comments)
In west Cumbria
- New Story Homes estate would leave us hemmed in, claim Carlisle residents
- Talks over new primary on site of axed Carlisle school (15 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (37 comments)
- New bridge set to be built between Currock and Denton Holme (27 comments)
- Windfall for Cumbria as four-year deal struck with Tour of Britain (25 comments)