Sheep killed in crash on M6 near Carlisle
Last updated at 09:29, Friday, 16 November 2012
A number of sheep were killed and others left running across the M6 following a crash.
The only vehicle believed to have been involved in the incident was a Land Rover pulling a trailer containing 20 sheep.
It overturned at the bottom of the exit slip from Southwaite Services, near Carlisle, onto the northbound carriageway of the motorway at about 12.15pm yesterday.
A lorry initially parked diagonally across the carriageway to prevent other motorists causing further disruption.
Cumbria Police said a number of farmers stopped to help round-up the sheep, which are understood to have been corralled into a field.
A number of the animals were killed in the accident.
Initially two lanes of the M6 were closed, but the road was reopened by about 12.45pm. “The incident caused substantial tailbacks,” a police spokeswoman said.
First published at 09:18, Friday, 16 November 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (7 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (4 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (28 comments)
- Carlisle can't cope with any more budget supermarkets - claim (41 comments)
In west Cumbria
- Paedophile caught in Cumbria police sting jailed
- Cumbrian man cleared of blackmail and imitation firearm charges
- Cumbrian school out of special measures in record time (17 comments)
- Cumbrian boy's family has seven months to raise £60,000 for operation
- Volunteers wanted to rescue one of Cumbria's biggest carnivals (3 comments)
- Carlisle taxi drivers must pass spoken English test to get licence (7 comments)
- Carlisle council must cut £4.5m more from budget (15 comments)
- Free wifi network to launch in Carlisle city centre next week (14 comments)
- MPs press case to dual A69 road between Carlisle and Newcastle (26 comments)
- Man who scrapped Cumbrian on-street parking charges to quit (13 comments)