Sheep killed in crash on M6 near Carlisle
Last updated at 09:29, Friday, 16 November 2012
A number of sheep were killed and others left running across the M6 following a crash.
The only vehicle believed to have been involved in the incident was a Land Rover pulling a trailer containing 20 sheep.
It overturned at the bottom of the exit slip from Southwaite Services, near Carlisle, onto the northbound carriageway of the motorway at about 12.15pm yesterday.
A lorry initially parked diagonally across the carriageway to prevent other motorists causing further disruption.
Cumbria Police said a number of farmers stopped to help round-up the sheep, which are understood to have been corralled into a field.
A number of the animals were killed in the accident.
Initially two lanes of the M6 were closed, but the road was reopened by about 12.45pm. “The incident caused substantial tailbacks,” a police spokeswoman said.
First published at 09:18, Friday, 16 November 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (13 comments)
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (8 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (5 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (29 comments)
In west Cumbria
- Closing and reopening St Bees School would waste £1m - campaigners
- Majority Labour group refuses to join elected mayor's executive
- Man fell from roof while being chased, Carlisle court told
- 'Stupid beyond belief' drink-driver sentenced by Carlisle court
- Spoiled votes did not affect Copeland mayoral result, says runner-up
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (140 comments)
- Conservative Stevenson retains Carlisle (106 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (35 comments)
- Action to tackle starling problem in Carlisle city centre (26 comments)