Dave rows seven longest lakes – in a day
Published at 05:22, Friday, 30 October 2009
A teacher from Austin Friars St Monica’s School in Carlisle has rowed the seven longest lakes in the Lake District in one day and raised £1,000.
Dave Harte, who teaches biology and is also head of the Middle School, took the challenge to raise cash for the Eden Valley Hospice and the Talkin Tarn Rowing Club.
Established in 1859 and now in its 150th year the club is in desperate need of a new boat house.
The current boat house does not have the capacity to support the club’s growing numbers and is in a very bad state of repair, with only a few years of life left in it.
Mr Harte decided to embark on the ‘Take 7 Challenge’ – for a second successive year.
This massive feat of endurance involved rowing 63.7km along the some of the longest and busiest lakes in the country including Bassenthwaite Lake, Derwentwater, Thirlmere, Ullswater, Haweswater, Windermere and Coniston – in one day.
Beginning at Haweswater at 8am, Mr Harte managed to successfully overcome strong currents, leisure craft and cramp to complete the challenge (on water and road) in a time of nine hours and 23 minutes – finishing at 5.05pm on Derwentwater.
Mr Harte told The Cumberland News: “I was pleased to complete the challenge in a quicker time than last year.”
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (7 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (28 comments)
- Yobs slaughter animals in sick allotment attack (38 comments)
- Carlisle can't cope with any more budget supermarkets - claim (41 comments)
In west Cumbria
- Cumbria police make arrest in park sex attack inquiry
- Police ask for takeaway 'bouncers' to help curb late night disorder (16 comments)
- Cumbrian family return from holiday to find home gutted by fire
- Plans to turn derelict Cumbrian landmark into 140 homes
- Tributes to Cumbrian man killed in Eastbourne pier fall
- Primark targets site for Carlisle city centre store (86 comments)