Nut the Nine O’Clock News: ‘Squirrel cam’ live at tarn
Published at 14:10, Friday, 02 September 2011
THE antics of red squirrels at Talkin Tarn have become a feature of the big screen.
A special ‘squirrel cam’ has been set up in the country park to capture the behaviour of the protected reds.
The images are being broadcast on to a flat screen TV in the tearoom.
The camera is trained on a wide area of woodland popular with a family of reds. And making a regular appearance is a spotted woodpecker.
Tarn manager Fiona Shipp said: “We obtained some funding for this from the Learning Communities Network and thought it would be a great way to spend it. At the moment we have the camera focused on wide area, popular with birds and the squirrels. But we have the option to focus in specific areas.
“There is also a camera on the front of the tea room looking out over the tarn. We are able to broadcast the images of the tarn into the tearoom too. This will be particularly nice on a Sunday when there are a lot of boats on the tarn.”
There are plans to broadcast tarn images online so water sports users can get an idea of the weather conditions before heading out. The squirrel cam is to feature on a schools moodle website – a ‘safe’ site accessed by local kids.
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (7 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (28 comments)
- Yobs slaughter animals in sick allotment attack (38 comments)
- Carlisle can't cope with any more budget supermarkets - claim (41 comments)
In west Cumbria
- New Story Homes estate would leave us hemmed in, claim Carlisle residents
- Deep clean to spruce up Carlisle city centre streets (14 comments)
- Carlisle city centre to get free wifi (23 comments)
- Carlisle Utd should offer manager job to McDonald (14 comments)
- Carr's Table Water biscuits lose Royal stamp of approval (16 comments)