No action on cobbles year after accident
Published at 14:09, Friday, 26 August 2011
A PENSIONER who fell and hurt his wrist on unsteady cobbles has hit out at a lack of action to fix the stones after they were branded a “nightmare” a year ago.
George Bell lost his footing and fell on dislodged and cracked cobbles on Brampton’s Front Street. The uneven road surface is also causing problems for disabled shoppers in wheelchairs and mobility scooters and parents with push chairs.
Specific concerns were raised about an area outside the post office on which a disabled parking bay sits.
At a meeting of Brampton parish council last August the cobbles were branded “dangerous”. It was agreed that the issue would be referred to the authority responsible but 12 months later no action has been taken.
Parish councillors have previously fought to protect the cobbles. But years of use and the weight of vehicles using Front Street has led to some becoming dislodged and damaged.
Mr Bell, who fell on the cobble stones in September, told The Cumberland News that he still suffers from pain in his wrist.
The 79-year-old former roads worker, said: “Nothing has been done to sort the problem and it is now worse then ever.
“It is ridiculous.”
Mr Bell, who lives in Lanercost but travels to Brampton to shop and collect his pension, is in talks with a lawyer and is taking legal advice over the fall.
He said: “I had parked on a disabled space outside the post office when I stepped on a loose stone. I went over on my ankle and landed on my wrist.
“I went to see my doctor who sent me for an X-ray. There were no broken bones but it still hurts today.” He added: “It is awful that the stones have been allowed to get into such a state. “Nobody seems to know whose responsibility it is to fix this, but the problem isn’t going to go away.”
Parish councilor Connie Ridley, who raised the concerns at the parish council meeting last year, said: “It is worse than ever now. It is terrible.
“There have been talks but nothing has been done.
“It is awful to see disabled and elderly people getting out on their cars at the parking bay and struggling to manoeuvre across them.”
A spokesman for Cumbria County Council which is the highways authority, admitted it is its responsibility. He said that a highways team was being send in to do some temporary repairs. The work is expected to be complete by today .
The spokesman added: “We are now aware of the damage and will carry out temporary repairs.
“We will liaise with our partners about the best route to take regarding more permanent repairs.”
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Bus cuts across Cumbria loom in bid to save £1.3m (35 comments)
- Barrister buys historic Cumbrian hall to restore for son, 10 (12 comments)
- Row over Carlisle chip shop's plan to open until 4am (40 comments)