New vicar appointed at two Carlisle churches
Last updated at 15:23, Friday, 11 January 2013
A new vicar has been appointed at two churches in north Carlisle.
Nigel Beer will lead the clergy at St Michael’s Church in Stanwix and St Mark’s Church in Belah.
He is currently responsible for two churches in the parish of Moor Allerton and Shadwell in Leeds.
Mr Beer, 50, has been involved with the New Wine network for 10 years – a group that works together to renew and strengthen churches.
A message on the church’s website says: “We have found a new vicar. We look forward to welcoming Nigel Beer as the new vicar.
“Nigel is married to Janet and is currently team vicar of St Barnabas in Leeds.”
Mr Beer, who has two grown-up daughters, will be moving to Carlisle in the spring and he will be collated and installed on May 12 at 4pm by the Bishop of Carlisle James Newcome.
In his spare time he enjoys walking up big hills, golf and is a keen supporter of Leeds Rhinos Rugby League club.
He said: “We had a short holiday here a number of years ago so we are looking forward to exploring the area further. We will be living in Stanwix Vicarage and are really looking forward to getting to know the people of St Michael’s and St Mark’s as well as the local community.
“I see my job as helping people to discover God’s love and to work out what it means to be a follower of Jesus Christ in the world today.”
Mr Beer replaces Ben Phillips who moved with his family from Stanwix to Christ Church in Rio de Janeiro in the summer.
During his time at the two churches, attendances rose, a youth worker was appointed, a restoration appeal was launched and successful Sunday schools were put in operation.
The Church of England usually leaves a gap between appointments so a new vicar does not step straight into the shoes of the outgoing vicar.
The interview panel included the Bishop of Carlisle; Archdeacon of Carlisle, the Venerable Kevin Roberts; curate Chris Bolster, and reader and church member Tim Hazard.
First published at 14:32, Friday, 11 January 2013
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (13 comments)
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (8 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (5 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (29 comments)
In west Cumbria
- Closing and reopening St Bees School would waste £1m - campaigners
- Majority Labour group refuses to join elected mayor's executive
- Man fell from roof while being chased, Carlisle court told
- 'Stupid beyond belief' drink-driver sentenced by Carlisle court
- Spoiled votes did not affect Copeland mayoral result, says runner-up
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (131 comments)
- Conservative Stevenson retains Carlisle (104 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (34 comments)
- Action to tackle starling problem in Carlisle city centre (24 comments)