New delay for Carlisle Airport plans
Last updated at 13:54, Friday, 25 July 2014
Hopes of a quick decision on the future of Carlisle Airport have been dashed again.
Stobart Group’s £20 million plans to redevelop the airport will not now go before city councillors on August 8, as the company and objectors had been led to believe.
Carlisle City Council says it needs more time for its expert advisers to consider fresh information submitted by those both for and against the scheme.
Three times Stobart Group has won planning consent for a giant freight distribution centre, allied to the airport near Irthington to the east of the city, only for the proposals to fall foul of ministers or the courts.
The latest consent was quashed by a senior planning judge in March after Gordon Brown, a farmer who lives opposite the airfield, sought a judicial review.
Mr Justice Collins found a defect in viability forecasts.
Stobart is now offering a £250,000-a-year subsidy for scheduled flights to London Southend and Dublin, in the hope that the prospect of these will justify building a freight distribution centre in open countryside. It has asked the council’s development control committee to reconsider the previous planning application.
A spokeswoman for the council said: “At each stage of this application we have sought advice from a variety of technical experts relating to a number of aspects.
“This stage is no different and until we are in a position to provide members [councillors] with the required advice we will not be confirming the committee date for consideration of the application.”
Mr Brown is again opposing the plan. He has employed an aviation consultant, Louise Congdon of York Aviation, to assess Stobart’s proposals.
Her report argues that passenger flights would not be viable even with the subsidy.
She says Stobart’s projections for passenger numbers are out of date, citing official data that suggests the market for domestic air travel has shrunk since the figures were compiled in 2009.
Any subsidy, she says, would have to be “significantly greater” than the £250,000 promised by Stobart.
First published at 13:50, Friday, 25 July 2014
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (13 comments)
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (8 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (5 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (29 comments)
In west Cumbria
- Closing and reopening St Bees School would waste £1m - campaigners
- Majority Labour group refuses to join elected mayor's executive
- Man fell from roof while being chased, Carlisle court told
- 'Stupid beyond belief' drink-driver sentenced by Carlisle court
- Spoiled votes did not affect Copeland mayoral result, says runner-up
- Barrow death crash case delay ‘unacceptable’ says judge
- Dalton businessman tells Ulverston: "We'll have your supermarket if you don't want it." (14 comments)
- Names found for the classmates of 1952
- Dalton 10k results
- Dalton zoo boss brings seasonal cheer with free admission
- Tributes to talented Carlisle musician (2 comments)
- Scribble test 2
- Covers could help beat the big freeze (1 comment)
- Dalton Carnival
- Celtic kids hit with KO blow