New delay for Carlisle Airport plans
Last updated at 13:54, Friday, 25 July 2014
Hopes of a quick decision on the future of Carlisle Airport have been dashed again.
Stobart Group’s £20 million plans to redevelop the airport will not now go before city councillors on August 8, as the company and objectors had been led to believe.
Carlisle City Council says it needs more time for its expert advisers to consider fresh information submitted by those both for and against the scheme.
Three times Stobart Group has won planning consent for a giant freight distribution centre, allied to the airport near Irthington to the east of the city, only for the proposals to fall foul of ministers or the courts.
The latest consent was quashed by a senior planning judge in March after Gordon Brown, a farmer who lives opposite the airfield, sought a judicial review.
Mr Justice Collins found a defect in viability forecasts.
Stobart is now offering a £250,000-a-year subsidy for scheduled flights to London Southend and Dublin, in the hope that the prospect of these will justify building a freight distribution centre in open countryside. It has asked the council’s development control committee to reconsider the previous planning application.
A spokeswoman for the council said: “At each stage of this application we have sought advice from a variety of technical experts relating to a number of aspects.
“This stage is no different and until we are in a position to provide members [councillors] with the required advice we will not be confirming the committee date for consideration of the application.”
Mr Brown is again opposing the plan. He has employed an aviation consultant, Louise Congdon of York Aviation, to assess Stobart’s proposals.
Her report argues that passenger flights would not be viable even with the subsidy.
She says Stobart’s projections for passenger numbers are out of date, citing official data that suggests the market for domestic air travel has shrunk since the figures were compiled in 2009.
Any subsidy, she says, would have to be “significantly greater” than the £250,000 promised by Stobart.
First published at 13:50, Friday, 25 July 2014
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
In west Cumbria
- West House loses cafe contract at hospital (16 comments)
- Church closed and declared unsafe as parts of ceiling fall down
- Go-ahead to turn former police station into restaurant
- Death of two-year-old Cumbrian boy was accident, says coroner
- First theft in 25 years may mean tighter security at Cumbrian museum
- Cumbria Pride crisis as Carlisle LGBT centre to close (50 comments)
- From Carlisle airport to New York for just £200? (22 comments)
- £6m primary school planned for Carlisle (18 comments)
- German firm unveils plans for huge solar park near Carlisle (4 comments)
- Residents want action over Silloth’s ‘nauseating’ pong (9 comments)
- Call for action after crash at accident 'blackspot' near Carlisle (29 comments)
- Carlisle's Labour Party backs Jeremy Corbyn leadership bid (32 comments)