Film star Baldwincauses stir at A&E
Published at 14:11, Friday, 07 September 2012
A FAMOUS patient caused a stir in Carlisle last night – after turning up at the Cumberland Infirmary’s A&E department.
Hollywood actor Stephen Baldwin, who is in the city for a show at the Sands Centre, turned heads as he waited for an X-ray on an injured foot.
The Usual Suspects star – one of the famous Baldwin brothers – was more than happy to pose for photographs with fellow patients, relatives and staff as he waited to be seen.
Friend Mark Knight, from Carlisle, was with him at A&E. He said: “He’s got a three-wheeler motorbike and ran over his foot with it before he set off for England.
“It turns out he went to the doctor, who told him to go to the hospital, but if he had he would have missed his flight so he decided to travel anyway.
“He’d had a long flight from New York so it was pretty swollen and sore. We were down at the skatepark in Carlisle yesterday and one of the first aiders had a look at it. She told him he really needed an X-ray so I took him up there last night.”
Mark added: “People were looking over and word started getting round. Eventually someone came over and asked, ‘Are you Stephen Baldwin?’ From there it turned into a riot!” he said.
“Everyone started to come over and he was posing for pictures with them all. At one point we were moved into a cubicle and the wife of a man next door left her husband to come in and get a photo.
“What should have taken 45 minutes ended up taking over two hours. But Stephen is really used to it all. He’s very approachable and was happy to have his picture taken.”
Mark, who is organising tomorrow night’s event, the Christian-based show Mysterious?, said the star had time for everyone. This follows a bad experience he had with a famous actor who was rude to him when he was in Los Angeles at the age of 17. He vowed that if he ever became famous, he would never be like that.
Following his X-ray, the star was told he may have chipped the bone but it was not broken. He was given a copy of the X-ray to take back to his doctor in the US and told to take it easy.
But Baldwin – who also appeared on Celebrity Big Brother two years ago – will not let it stop him completing the busy schedule during his visit to Carlisle.
Today he will be at Trinity School alongside a pro skateboarder and international illusionists to promote tomorrow night’s show at the Sands.
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (7 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (4 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (29 comments)
In west Cumbria
- Carlisle taxi drivers must pass spoken English test to get licence (9 comments)
- Carlisle council must cut £4.5m more from budget (21 comments)
- Free wifi network to launch in Carlisle city centre next week (14 comments)
- MPs press case to dual A69 road between Carlisle and Newcastle (31 comments)
- Planning go-ahead for Cumbria council's new £10m HQ (32 comments)