Family celebrate after doctors give Carlisle boy tumour all-clear
Published at 14:17, Friday, 07 May 2010
The family of Carlisle youngster Ethan Tweedie are celebrating after tests revealed there is no longer any sign of his brain tumour.
The seven-year-old has been undergoing exhausting treatment since he was rushed into hospital last January. Doctors said the tumour was so rare the odds were about the same as being hit by lightning.
Ethan, of Dalesman Drive, first had to undergo emergency surgery to remove it, followed by gruelling courses radiotherapy and finally chemotherapy.
He has spent the past 15 months either in hospital in Newcastle or travelling back and forth for treatment. It has left him feeling sick and exhausted, and turned the lives of his family upside down.
But now they are finally celebrating some good news. His mum Amanda said his latest MRI scan gave the all-clear, meaning Ethan could finally start to get on with his life.
He must now go back for regular check-ups to ensure it doesn’t start to grow again, but she said this news is better than they ever dared hope for.
“We are really proud of the way he’s battled,” she said. “He’s probably handled it better than me. It’s been hell. One minute he’d be at home, the next we’d be rushing him back to Newcastle.
“The treatment has really taken its toll. He’s been so poorly, but it’s been worth it.”
Ethan won a Braveheart Award last year for his courage throughout his ordeal. His doctors now say that there is about a 90 per cent chance that the tumour won’t return so the family are hopeful that Ethan has beaten it for good.
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Hopes of reviving Cumbria Day (3 comments)
- £4.8m Star of Caledonia artwork to be unveiled - in miniature (6 comments)
- Report urges Cumbria to seek stronger links with Scotland (14 comments)
- Don’t look here for fracking desolation, Lord Howell (2 comments)
- Carlisle car salesman told to move vehicles 'stored' on village field
- Campaigner who says sheep wreck Cumbrian fells faces farmers (5 comments)
- Speed limit lowered on Carlisle bypass 'rat runs' (35 comments)
- Carlisle gears up for house-building boom
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with