Council raises thousands of pounds to create BMX track in Longtown
Last updated at 15:18, Friday, 22 February 2013
Arthuret Parish Council has raised almost £10,000 to help create a BMX track for its area’s young people.
The council plans to create the area on the site of a tennis court off Old Road at Lochinvar Close, Longtown.
The project was discussed throughout last year and is expected to be completed in 2013.
“I can confirm our funding,” said parish clerk Karen Johnston.
The council has received £5,000 from the personal allowance of Val Tarbitt, Cumbria County Council’s member for Longtown and Rockcliffe, as well as £3,000 from the local crime and disorder partnership.
More cash could also come in the future from other supporters of the project.
In November last year it was estimated that it would cost £5,000 to construct the track, which will be created with soil.
However, the cost of the project has increased as the council now plans to demolish a wall near the site and add seating, bins and a notice board.
The council has been told it will not need planning permission for this project.
Members have visited other BMX tracks in Carlisle for ideas to bring to Longtown.
Parish councillor Mark Gardener said that there may be a supply of free soil to create the track available, with the body only needing to pay for the transport costs.
The council will now investigate this.
First published at 14:48, Friday, 22 February 2013
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
In west Cumbria
- Vandals wreak havoc after breaking into school building
- Energy minister hints at cash for transport improvements in west Cumbria
- Councillors banned from talking to press for 'own protection'
- Prison term for banned driver who led Cumbria police on 25-mile chase
- West House loses cafe contract at hospital (18 comments)
- Meppen-Walter must work hard for his place in Carlisle Utd team - Curle
- Former Carlisle takeaway boss in £116,000 tax fraud
- Driver's anger at parking charge - after buying ticket on Carlisle car park (21 comments)
- Future of Cumbrian care home still in doubt after damning report
- Couple reveal plans to restore village pub to its former glory