Carlisle schoolgirl makes a drama out of memory feat
Last updated at 15:58, Friday, 02 May 2014
A talented schoolgirl actress will perform a solo hour-long play for a paying audience after committing the entire production to memory.
Jasmine Metherell, 13, has been described as “exceptional” by her drama teacher at Carlisle’s Trinity School as the youngster prepares to act out the monologue piece next week.
Jasmine will be the centre of attention at the school’s Margaret Sewell Hall when an audience of about 100 watch her perform Spoonface Steinberg.
The play, by Lee Hall, the writer of the film Billy Elliot, is the story of a seven-year-old autistic girl who has cancer.
Jasmine, of Stanwix in Carlisle, who has been learning the play since October, sailed through rehearsals and is all set for the big night on Wednesday when the year eight pupil will take to the stage.
She said: “I did it two pages at a time and then put it all together.
“Obviously I’m a bit nervous but quite excited.”
Jasmine said she had learned from the play’s subject matter. “I think it’s got quite a lot of lessons about life. I like it,” she added. “Acting is definitely something that I enjoy.”
The youngster has performed in two school plays, including a production of Les Miserables, but says she has done nothing on this scale before.
Drama teacher Jessie Southwell said Jasmine had worked extremely hard to learn and perform the piece. “The reason I thought Jasmine could do it is because she is very intelligent and hard-working,” she added.
“It is a big commitment and a lot of work. It’s 35 pages and lasts nearly an hour. And she’s not just standing there speaking, she is acting.
“I knew she was keen and I wanted to keep her keen and stretch her. She’s getting a lot of support from her family and friends in school.”
The audience will feature pupils ranging from year seven students to sixth-formers. It will be performed at 7pm.
First published at 14:47, Friday, 02 May 2014
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (4 comments)
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (7 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (4 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (29 comments)
- Man arrested after serious Carlisle car crash
- New department store for Carlisle's empty Hoopers building (25 comments)
- Record deal for Carlisle singer's X Factor group Only The Young
- Carlisle club once sold for £2m fails to reach auction reserve
- Story writes-off £1.1m loan to Carlisle Utd (27 comments)