Young Carlisle angler lands big trout single-handed
Last updated at 12:06, Tuesday, 06 November 2012
It is the kind of big fish that most anglers can only ever dream of catching.
But for nine-year-old Joshua Welch, this one didn’t get away, as the youngster used his skill with a rod to land a whopper of a rainbow trout, weighing an impressive 12lbs.
He caught it during a trip with his dad Lawrence to Naworth Fishery near Brampton on Saturday.
“He’s been fishing since he was five, and he’s really into it,” said proud mum Sharon, 38, of Forest Hill, Harraby, Carlisle.
She said Joshua, a pupil at Inglewood Junior School, was also interested in rugby but fishing has become a real passion for him, and he would love to get other kids into it.
She added: “He also loves to share out his catches, with family and friends.”
Dad Lawrence, 40, a BT worker, said: “We’re very proud of him. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime catch. There’s a guy at work I know who has been into fishing for 40 years and he’s never caught a rainbow trout that big.
“We’re thinking about getting it stuffed by a taxidermist but it’s quite expensive.”
Lawrence described how Joshua landed his fish after making the last cast of the day on a very wet and miserable Saturday afternoon. It was so cold that he had to give his son his extra-thick socks to keep his feet warm.
At first, said Lawrence, he was tempted to help Joshua when he realised he had hooked a particularly big fish, but it soon became clear that the youngster was more than capable of landing it on his own.
He added: “When we realised how big the trout was, everybody was watching.
“Joshua was chuffed. He’d love to teach fishing.”
First published at 11:56, Tuesday, 06 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Carlisle auctioneer to present BBC's Bargain Hunt
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (14 comments)
- Tories choose their Workington candidate for General Election (15 comments)
- Carlisle man reached 110mph on 19-mile police chase
- 'Knighton' in Twitter claims over Carlisle Utd (5 comments)
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (8 comments)
- Cumbrian bakery lands huge cake deal with Costa Coffee chain (11 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (5 comments)
- Carlisle artist gets job to design AC/DC album motif on guitarist's coffin (2 comments)
- Carlisle Utd on the brink of 'exciting' new investment (26 comments)