Flood alerts on 14 Cumbrian rivers lifted
Last updated at 07:46, Thursday, 14 February 2013
Fourteen flood alerts that were in place this morning on rivers across Cumbria have been lifted.
The Environment Agency issued the alerts following a day of snow and heavy rain yesterday (Wednesday).
Alerts were in place on the:
- Upper River Derwent, Stonethwaite Beck and Derwent Water
- Rivers Duddon, Crake and Mill Beck
- Rivers Wampool and Ellen
- Rivers Cocker, Marron and Derwent
- Rivers Lowther and Eamont
- Rivers Caldew and Petteril
- Rivers Kent and Bela
- Rivers Greta, St Johns Beck and Bassenthwaite Lake
- Rivers Esk and Irthing
- Rivers Ehen, Calder, Irt and Esk
- Rivers Brathay, Rothay and Winster
- Upper River Eden
- Middle River Eden
- Lower River Eden
The Met Office had issued a yellow weather warning for the north west, including Cumbria, yesterday.
Its statement said: "Sleet and snow will continue to spread eastwards across many northern and central parts of the UK during today.
"Accumulations of two to four centimetres of snow could occur temporarily at lower elevations, with around 10 cm above 200 metres across northern England and Scotland, where drifting is possible in the strong winds."
It also warned that rain was likely to fall on sub-zero roads leading to a risk of ice.
The snowy conditions were so bad at one point that police urged drivers to take extra care in Copeland.
Roads from Whitehaven to Millom were passable but the force received a number of reports from concerned motorists.
Copeland council suspended its waste and recycling collections due to the road conditions. It was hoped they would resume when the snow cleared.
First published at 09:07, Wednesday, 13 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Carlisle girl banned from lessons until she changes hair colour (204 comments)
- Last-day Carlisle Utd match alert over Bob Marley theme fans (61 comments)
- Carlisle billboard blunder 'funny' claims Labour candidate (68 comments)
- Carlisle city centre bandstand set to be replaced (34 comments)
- Park and ride plan to ease parking problems at Carlisle hospital (25 comments)