Warning after Carlisle arson attack causes thousands of pounds damage
Last updated at 11:30, Thursday, 29 March 2012
Police have warned people could have been “seriously harmed” after an arson attack on a motorcycle sparked a fire that destroyed property worth thousands of pounds.
Officers are hunting whoever was behind the torching of a motorbike in Carlisle today – a mindless act that led to flames spreading to a garden fence and then onto a shed, wrecking everything inside.
Police said firefighters got there before the fire reached a house in Farlam Drive, Durranhill, and crews extinguished the blaze.
Officers added they do not think the arsonist deliberately tried to set fire to the fence and shed but this nevertheless happened “due to reckless behaviour”.
The arson happened between midnight and 12.15am. The abandoned motorbike was torched in a cut at the back of Farlam Drive.
A force spokesman said: “The fire burned through a plastic shed and destroyed all the items within.”
The damage to the shed and property will cost more than £5,000.
The police spokesman added: “Police are appealing for any witnesses who may have seen the offender or offenders running away from the scene or anybody who has any information to come forward.”
Police want to speak to a male who may possibly be white, in his late teens or early 20s, with short brown hair.
They were wearing a light grey top and were travelling on a small motorbike or scooter.
Firefighters described the blaze as “an intense fire”.
Call police with information on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
First published at 11:27, Thursday, 29 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Cumbrian ex-soldier accused of gun-running to stand trial in India
- Carlisle's city centre BHS store to close (37 comments)
- Billionaire owner aiming to turn Cumbrian brewer into global brand
- Cumbrian TV star Helen Skelton and family moving to France
- Perfect weather for 'fabulous' Penrith Show - secretary
- Carlisle Utd's Project Blue Yonder stadium plan making little progress (14 comments)
- Row brewing over plans for 50 new homes in Wetheral (2 comments)
- Plans for 189 new homes in Carlisle get go-ahead (14 comments)
- Huge solar park set to get go-ahead in north Cumbria (2 comments)
- Family history page (75 comments)