Tuesday, 01 September 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Wardman wins match but Oliver is crowned King of Whins

The final match of the King of Whins evening match series took place at Whins Pond, near Penrith, on Sunday.

Fifteen of the 17 qualifying anglers who had fished the requisite 10 matches competed on Sunday and were met with heavy rain and the leftovers from ‘Hurricane’ Katia.

But Whins always fishes well in a strong westerly wind and though some picked nice comfortable pegs in the woods many of those who opted for a windy peg caught the fish.

This being the only match in the series when the anglers can pick their own peg according to the number drawn and Dave Wardman decided peg 1 was for him. He started catching immediately. Using various baits over a distinctly spicy groundbait he had five bream, a tench and a chub, almost all caught in the first hour and won with 26lb 7oz.

Mike Clusker chose peg 32 at the opposite end of the barrier net and with a combination of corn and pellet on the hook managed three hefty bream and a chub coming second with 21lb 13oz.

Glen Martin chose the weed bed next to peg 27 and fishing close in had a tench approaching six pounds on the pole and a bonny common carp for 19lb 6oz

Nick Oliver was fifth with his carp of 13lb 13oz.

Following the match, Eileen Siddle, the proprietor, presented the ‘King of Whins’ trophy to 21-year-old Nick, the league winner and distributed a well earned beer to all the participants.

Salmon are now well distributed throughout the Eden system and catches have been reported to me from below Carlisle to above Lazonby during the last week.

Warwick Hall has faired well even though the water has been high at times. Audrey Spence landed a brace of 12 pounders in the Rushes using a Rapala last Thursday and Ian Blackett landed a nine pounder in the same pool.

On Friday, Colin Hudson fished the Gravel Bed with a copper Toby landing a 10 pounder, James Harrison’s 12 pounder in the Battery fell to the worm, but Robin Gillett landed the biggest of the day a 15lb shrimp caught fish in the Rushes.

On Saturday, Peter Williamson landed a brace in the Rushes; a five pounder to a worm and a 12 pounder to a shrimp. Sunday was a productive day with Paul Ryder’s fly caught eight pounder, John McCulloch’s fly caught brace of 11 and 8lb as well as Steve Bellamy’s 11 pounder on the fly all being caught in the Rushes. That same day the Nunnery was also producing salmon with Keith Brownson landing a worm caught 10 pounder and Stuart Rose landing an 11 pounder on the fly, Stuart also landed a fly caught eight pounder in the House Pool.

On Monday, Tom Kay landed a splendid brace in the Battery with fish of 14½ and 15½lb falling to the worm.

The Battery also proved productive for Vin Astles on Tuesday, Vin landed salmon of 14, 7½ and 9lb all on the worm.

Also on Tuesday Mike Perrin landed four; a 13 and a four pounder in the Nunnery and salmon of 10 and 15lb in the Gravel Bed all fell to Flying Cs. The same day John Gaynor landed the biggest salmon reported to me this week; a lovely fly caught 18 pounder in the Nunnery.

Maryport and District Sea Angling Club are running their annual open roving competition along the Cumbrian coastline between Maryport South Pier and Workington Jetty on Saturday September 24.

The fishing will take place between 3pm and 7pm, Entry £15 for seniors; £2 for juniors can be made at Glasson Rangers Rugby League Club from 1pm on the day.

The competition is run on a heaviest fish basis and there are no prizes for heaviest bags. There are cash prizes for seniors first, second and third heaviest fish and the heaviest flat fish plus supporting table prizes.

Prizes have been donated by Greggain’s Ltd., Graham’s Guns and Tackle and Cumbria Angling Centre.

For more information contact David Underwood 01900 605765 or Jeff McAllister 01900 870624.



Should organ donation opt-in be automatic?



Show Result

Hot jobs
Search for: