Vandals will not intimidate me vows councillor after attack on his home
Last updated at 11:55, Tuesday, 27 May 2014
A prominent councillor has vowed not to be intimidated by the vandals who targeted his home.
Gerald Humes, 69, a county and Workington town councillor, was sitting watching the election on TV when a large stone was thrown through his front window. The stone missed him by inches.
It caused hundreds of pounds of damage to his Bowness Court home where he has lived with wife Joan for more than 35 years. He was not injured.
Mr Humes said: “It was a shock. I thought a bomb had gone off. The noise of the impact was horrendous and there was glass everywhere.
“We had a sofa by the window which my wife used to sit on so heaven knows what could’ve happened if we hadn’t switched everything around last week.
“We have a fair idea who is behind this, but we will not be intimidated. I will continue on with my council duties and serving the people of Moorclose.”
Recalling what happened at about 11.25pm on Thursday, Mrs Humes added: “I was in bed. The noise woke me and I went to look out of the window. I saw a male on a bike riding away quickly.
“We often have our grandchildren around and they have their Lego out on the floor playing. It’s sickening to think that it could’ve happened when they were there.”
Mr Humes is the second councillor to have his home vandalised in Moorclose.
Peter Bales, an Allerdale and Workington town councillor had his Ullswater Avenue home and car targeted during the early hours of Christmas Day in 2012.
The glass panel of his front door, the windscreen of his Suzuki Swift car and a bay window were all smashed causing thousands of pounds worth of damage.
Mr Bales said: “It is of a similar nature to what happened to me. It didn’t intimidate me and I am sure that it won’t intimate Gerald. He will continue to do the excellent work that he has done so far for the county council and the town council.”
Anyone with any information about what happened should call Cumbria police on 101.
First published at 11:50, Tuesday, 27 May 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Carlisle taxi drivers must pass spoken English test to get licence (8 comments)
- Carlisle council must cut £4.5m more from budget (21 comments)
- Free wifi network to launch in Carlisle city centre next week (14 comments)
- MPs press case to dual A69 road between Carlisle and Newcastle (30 comments)
- Man who scrapped Cumbrian on-street parking charges to quit (13 comments)