Tributes to former Carlisle mayor Trudy Whalley
Last updated at 13:37, Wednesday, 27 February 2013
Former Carlisle Mayor Trudy Whalley has died.
Mrs Whalley, who was 81, passed away on Monday.
She was a Labour Party member of more than 50 years and served on the city council for many years – she was Mayor of Carlisle in 1983/84.
She passed away the day after another former mayor, Hugh Little – one of Carlisle’s leading Labour politicians.
Mrs Whalley’s friend and Harraby councillor Cyril Weber said: “Trudy really was the heart and soul of the Labour Party.
“She was Labour through and through and she did a lot of good work for her constituents in the old Upperby ward which covered Petteril Bank. She will be sadly missed by all of us in the Harraby area.
“I know she had been out at the weekend and I believe she took ill at home and was rushed into the Cumberland Infirmary where she died.”
Kevin Parker, vice-chairman of Carlisle Labour Party, said: “Trudy was such a warm-hearted and wonderful woman.
“She was a very distinguished and respected local politician and I’ll always remember her as a real elder stateswoman of Carlisle Labour Party.
“A wonderful sense of humour and a lady with real conviction and genuine compassion, she was great friend to many of us and will be sadly missed.
“Her political partnership with her husband Geoff spanned the same timelines as Hugh and Molly Little. Together they achieved a great deal for the city and for the county. Hugh and Trudy were such great friends inside and outside of politics.
“It’s been a terrible week but I hope that they’re both up there now, sharing a cup of tea or maybe something bit stronger, talking about the great lives they both led and about the people they love and care for.”
Mrs Whalley, who was born in Canada because her family emigrated there, held positions including chairwoman of the housing committee and of the planning committee.
Currock councillor Heather Bradley said: “She was the lead member who ensured that we still have the landmark of Dixon’s Chimney. Trudy remained a regularly attended party meetings and was a delegate to the General Committee.”
Her funeral will be held at St John the Baptist Church in Upperby on Tuesday at 12.45pm.
First published at 11:44, Wednesday, 27 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Story writes-off £1.1m loan to Carlisle Utd (24 comments)
- Carlisle club once sold for £2m fails to reach auction reserve
- Police confirm body found during search was missing pensioner
- Edinburgh Woollen Mill boss loses fight to clear his name
- Carlisle pensioner charged with child and animal pornography offences
- Man arrested after serious Carlisle car crash
- New department store for Carlisle's empty Hoopers building (25 comments)
- Record deal for Carlisle singer's X Factor group Only The Young
- Carlisle Utd legend’s heartbreak at daughter’s mystery death
- What’s in store as Paris comes to Carlisle at old Hoopers' site