Top award for Cumbrian policeman who broke up criminal conspiracy
Last updated at 09:01, Wednesday, 23 January 2013
A police officer who broke up a wide-scale criminal conspiracy in the haulage industry has been given the top national award in road policing.
PC Andy Ivison, from Cumbria police, was given the award for his work with VOSA (Vehicle & Operator Services Agency) to investigate a criminal conspiracy among drivers who were cheating the system.
The probe led to 17 people, including two company directors, being jailed.
PC Ivison was given his award - for outstanding contribution to roads policing - at the National Roads Policing Conference in Leicestershire.
Organisers paid tribute to his “tremendous contribution to road safety throughout his 23-year career.”
They said he had played “exceptional roles in national campaigns and operation“s” which were aimed at both disrupting crime and terrorism and contributing to increasing road safety.
Alan Jones, Police Federation of England and Wales roads policing lead, said: “I’m immensely proud of all the winners and nominees for their dedication and commitment in ensuring the public and our roads are kept safe.
“Our winner, PC Andy Ivison, shows great enthusiasm and passion.
“His expertise and knowledge has helped to combat conspiracy, disrupt crime and terrorism; he is a remarkable role model.”
He said PC Ivison had several years’ experience of being sent to serious collisions and road closures in treacherous conditions. Last winter he spent one 10-hour shift keeping stranded motorists safe and helping colleagues from the Highway Agency ensure access for the emergency services.
First published at 16:33, Tuesday, 22 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Story writes-off £1.1m loan to Carlisle Utd (24 comments)
- Carlisle club once sold for £2m fails to reach auction reserve
- Police confirm body found during search was missing pensioner
- Edinburgh Woollen Mill boss loses fight to clear his name
- Carlisle pensioner charged with child and animal pornography offences
- Man arrested after serious Carlisle car crash
- New department store for Carlisle's empty Hoopers building (25 comments)
- Record deal for Carlisle singer's X Factor group Only The Young
- Carlisle Utd legend’s heartbreak at daughter’s mystery death
- What’s in store as Paris comes to Carlisle at old Hoopers' site