Thief back in Carlisle court for second time in two days
Last updated at 12:06, Wednesday, 16 January 2013
A prolific offender was back in court for the second time in two days and admitted stealing to get a bed for the night.
Andrew John Jason Bell, 35, of no fixed abode, was arrested on Monday night just after 10pm. He stole a £3.29 sandwich from the Shell garage at Hardwicke Circus.
Carlisle Magistrates’ Court was told that when police arrived, Bell told them he stole to get a bed for the night, as he was homeless and hungry.
He was arrested and appeared in court yesterday afternoon when he pleaded guilty to theft.
Magistrates told Bell, who has 50 convictions for 80 offences, that they had no option than to impose a custodial sentence for seven days.
The court was told he owes the court £467.80 in fines.
He will serve a total of 28 days in prison for the two thefts, breaching a community order and non payment of fines.
On Monday, in court, Bell pleaded guilty to stealing a bottle of wine from Sainsbury’s in Stanwix.
First published at 11:41, Wednesday, 16 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Carlisle girl banned from lessons until she changes hair colour (203 comments)
- Last-day Carlisle Utd match alert over Bob Marley theme fans (52 comments)
- Carlisle billboard blunder 'funny' claims Labour candidate (68 comments)
- Carlisle city centre bandstand set to be replaced (34 comments)
- Park and ride plan to ease parking problems at Carlisle hospital (25 comments)