Sweet smell of success for Cockermouth furnishings shop
Last updated at 11:47, Thursday, 17 June 2010
IN A quaint shop filled with exotic smells and beautifully carved wooden items, an artist has achieved her dream of owning her own home furnishings and accessories shop.
Dawn Balmer, 37, of Dovenby, bought Lily & Co, in Market Place, Cockermouth, in September last year but had to shut the premises after it was swamped with water during the November floods.
She returned on March 27 and said she is thankful for all the help she has received so that she can continue her dream.
“When we first moved back in we had massive support and we can only hope this continues,” she said.
“The town is quiet but once all the businesses are back and the holidays start we hope more and more people will come to Cockermouth to shop and not just to sight-see.”
Dawn took on the shop after the previous owner had to move away.
“I worked for the previous owner Lesley for about a year and she had to move back to Essex for family reasons. I didn’t want Cockermouth to not have Lilys, so I decided to buy it,” she explained.
“I’d always worked in shops in Cockermouth for other people over the years and home furnishings is something I’ve always been interested in.
“I am a painter and have worked to commission for more than 10 years. I sell some of my paintings in Lily & Co and I do a variety of work such as landscapes, nudes and abstracts.”
First published at 15:38, Wednesday, 16 June 2010
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (38 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (44 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Neil McDonald out of the race to be Carlisle Utd manager
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (55 comments)
- New Story Homes estate would leave us hemmed in, claim Carlisle residents
- Deep clean to spruce up Carlisle city centre streets (14 comments)
- Carlisle city centre to get free wifi (26 comments)
- Carlisle Utd should offer manager job to McDonald (14 comments)
- Carr's Table Water biscuits lose Royal stamp of approval (16 comments)