Seven years for man found carrying quarter ounce of heroin
Published at 14:25, Thursday, 14 February 2013
A man found carrying just over a quarter of an ounce of heroin has been jailed for seven years.
Steven Leon Dala, aged 46, was found with the illegal drug during a police search of the house he was living in at Maryport. The 7.7 grams had a street value of £770.
Dala, originally from Liverpool, was found guilty at Carlisle Crown Court of possession with intent to supply.
The court was told police searched the house on January 25 last year after receiving a tip-off.
DC Andrew Myers, who led the investigation, said they were "really pleased" with the sentence.
And he added: "We have to give thanks to the community because it was the information that they supplied which enabled us to obtain a warrant and search the property.
“This case highlights the importance of receiving information from local people, they know what is happening in their community and can identify anything that is out of the ordinary or suspicious.
“We will continue to tackle the issue of drugs in our local communities and the sentence imposed on Dala highlights how drugs are not tolerated by the community, the police or the courts.”
Anyone with information or concerns about drug use should call police on 101.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Carlisle girl banned from lessons until she changes hair colour (204 comments)
- Last-day Carlisle Utd match alert over Bob Marley theme fans (61 comments)
- Carlisle billboard blunder 'funny' claims Labour candidate (68 comments)
- Carlisle city centre bandstand set to be replaced (34 comments)
- Park and ride plan to ease parking problems at Carlisle hospital (25 comments)