Seven years for man found carrying quarter ounce of heroin
Published at 14:25, Thursday, 14 February 2013
A man found carrying just over a quarter of an ounce of heroin has been jailed for seven years.
Steven Leon Dala, aged 46, was found with the illegal drug during a police search of the house he was living in at Maryport. The 7.7 grams had a street value of £770.
Dala, originally from Liverpool, was found guilty at Carlisle Crown Court of possession with intent to supply.
The court was told police searched the house on January 25 last year after receiving a tip-off.
DC Andrew Myers, who led the investigation, said they were "really pleased" with the sentence.
And he added: "We have to give thanks to the community because it was the information that they supplied which enabled us to obtain a warrant and search the property.
“This case highlights the importance of receiving information from local people, they know what is happening in their community and can identify anything that is out of the ordinary or suspicious.
“We will continue to tackle the issue of drugs in our local communities and the sentence imposed on Dala highlights how drugs are not tolerated by the community, the police or the courts.”
Anyone with information or concerns about drug use should call police on 101.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Carlisle auctioneer to present BBC's Bargain Hunt
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (14 comments)
- Carlisle man reached 110mph on 19-mile police chase
- 'Knighton' in Twitter claims over Carlisle Utd (7 comments)
- Tories choose their Workington candidate for General Election (15 comments)
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (8 comments)
- Cumbrian bakery lands huge cake deal with Costa Coffee chain (11 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (5 comments)
- Carlisle artist gets job to design AC/DC album motif on guitarist's coffin (2 comments)
- Carlisle Utd on the brink of 'exciting' new investment (26 comments)