Rugby league star conned Carlisle garage
Last updated at 11:37, Thursday, 29 March 2012
International rugby league star Michael Ratu has been given a suspended prison sentence for conning a Carlisle car dealer into selling him a luxury vehicle on hire purchase.
The 24-year-old Fijian gave false information to the city garage in order to get a loan to buy a £34,000 Audi Q7.
But in fact, the city’s crown court heard, he knew he had no hope of paying the monthly instalments.
And the car was never seen again.
Prosecutor Dick Binstead told the court Ratu paid a £500 deposit on the car in 2009, while another £3,000 was paid by his criminal associates.
He had £15,000 gambling debts at the time, and the people to whom he owed the money put him under pressure to lie to secure the loan, he said.
They then took possession of the car and left him to face the music.
Ratu, whose address was listed as Maud Street, Rochdale, has played centre for Leeds Rhinos and Hull KR but is currently looking for another club after suffering a serious injury.
He pleaded guilty to a charge of fraud and was given a four-month prison sentence, suspended for a year, and ordered to do 60 hours of unpaid community work.
The judge, Recorder Harry Narayan, told him: “It is sad to see a young man with his whole career ahead of him now having to admit such a serious offence.”
First published at 11:27, Thursday, 29 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Cumbrian mum to run Edinburgh Marathon for heart unit
- £500,000 cycling track planned for Carlisle community campus
- Britain's Got Talent star Emma Jones inspired by SuBo
- Teen wins Royal Television Society award for film about 'gran she never knew'
- Theft-hit Carlisle church forced to close its doors (5 comments)
- Jobs under threat at Willmott Dixon (4 comments)
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (13 comments)
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (143 comments)
- Conservative Stevenson retains Carlisle (107 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (36 comments)
- Action to tackle starling problem in Carlisle city centre (26 comments)