Road closed after three vehicle crash near Carlisle
Last updated at 17:48, Tuesday, 12 February 2013
A minibus carrying nine passengers, including a number of children, has been involved in a road crash near Carlisle.
The A689 road at Wallfoot was closed for about two hours from 1.20pm while the scene was cleared.
Three vehicles were involved - a minibus, a HGV driven by a 51-year-old man from Essex and a Ford Mondeo car, driven by a woman, aged 35, from Carlisle. They were not hurt in the collision.
The minibus driver - a 38-year-old man from Northumberland - was trapped and fire crews used specialist equipment to release him.
He was airlifted to the Cumberland Infirmary, Carlisle, with injuries that police say are not believed to be serious.
The minibus was carrying nine passengers - two adults and seven children, aged 13 and 14, all from the north east.
They were released before the fire service got to the scene and taken to hospital as a precaution.
Police are appealing for anyone who saw the collision to contact them.
They are particularly keen for the driver of a vehicle travelling behind the minibus and in front of a green Land Rover to get in touch.
Anyone with any information should call Sergeant Joanne Lennox, of the Cumbria roads policing unit, on 101.
- The A6 was this afternoon closed at Hucks Brown, between Selside and Shap Wells, following a collision involving a silver Skoda car, a silver Mondeo car and a Volvo car transporter.
One person was airlifted and another taken by land ambulance to the Cumberland Infirmary, Carlisle, both suffering from chest injuries.
The extent of any injuries is not known.
Drivers were advised to use the M6 during the closure.
First published at 13:44, Tuesday, 12 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Carlisle auction of late TV celebrity's possessions
- Major flaws found in heating systems at homes in Cumbrian town
- Double the delight for singer Maddy Prior at Cumbria university graduation
- Farmer’s wind turbine plan rejected by Eden councillors
- Celtic Nation in turmoil as owner sells, manager quits (26 comments)
- The big interview: Carlisle United’s supporters’ trust (17 comments)
- Go-ahead for 825 new homes at Morton in Carlisle (4 comments)
- Primark targets site for Carlisle city centre store (85 comments)
- Carlisle can't cope with any more budget supermarkets - claim (41 comments)
- Barrister buys historic Cumbrian hall to restore for son, 10 (14 comments)