Rape suspects bailed by Cumbria police
Published at 10:54, Tuesday, 21 February 2012
Five men, arrested on suspicion of rape after a woman was sexually assaulted in Whitehaven, have been bailed while investigations continue.
The suspects, aged between 22 and 52, were held after a woman from Cleator Moor was found in a distressed state in the town at 8.20am on Sunday.
Officers said she told them she had been raped and are investigating an alleged attack in a house in the town centre, close to Market Place, on Saturday night or early Sunday morning.
The five arrested men were said to be from "the Whitehaven area". They were questioned by officers and have been bailed until April.
Police have appealed for an elderly man to come forward. It is believed he helped and spoke to the woman while walking his dog.
Detective Sergeant George Atkinson said: "We are currently establishing the circumstances. We are appealing for the elderly gentleman who may have spoken to the woman while out walking his dog."
Anyone with information about the incident should call the police on 101.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Carlisle taxi drivers must pass spoken English test to get licence (7 comments)
- Carlisle council must cut £4.5m more from budget (15 comments)
- Free wifi network to launch in Carlisle city centre next week (14 comments)
- MPs press case to dual A69 road between Carlisle and Newcastle (26 comments)
- Man who scrapped Cumbrian on-street parking charges to quit (13 comments)