Power cut hits 650 properties in Carlisle
Last updated at 10:34, Saturday, 17 November 2012
A power cut plunged hundreds of homes and businesses into darkness.
An underground cable fault has been blamed for knocking out supplies to 650 properties in Carlisle.
Buildings affected were largely in the Willowholme, Caldewgate and Shaddongate area, up to Dalston Road.
Power went down at 5.50pm yesterday and was restored by about 7pm.
Among the places affected was the new Sainsbury’s supermarket in Caldewgate, where some of its lights went off. Back-up supplies, however, kicked in there.
Traffic lights on Caldewgate were also off for a time.
BBC Radio Cumbria was affected, with the outage taking the broadcaster off air for about 20 minutes. Its Friday night sports show was on at the time.
A spokeswoman for Electricity North West apologised for any inconvenience caused.
She said the outage was down to the below-ground fault and power was off while workers switched the supply routes.
Work will now take place to find and fix the affected cable.
First published at 10:11, Saturday, 17 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Death of Carlisle character who fought his cancer (3 comments)
- Carlisle Utd directors in dark about identity of 'billionaire' investor
- Passionate pleas to stop closure of Cumbrian care homes
- Big legal bill for Cumbrian man after garden gate battle
- Sign of the times as Cumbrian cinema set to swap film for digital (3 comments)
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (137 comments)
- Conservative Stevenson retains Carlisle (106 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (35 comments)
- Action to tackle starling problem in Carlisle city centre (26 comments)