Police launch investigation after biker killed in Ulverston crash
Last updated at 18:00, Thursday, 29 September 2011
POLICE are investigating following a fatal crash in Ulverston.
Two cars, a motorcycle and a pedal cycle were involved in the accident at Urswick Road, Ulverston, at around 5.30pm yesterday.
Local residents and paramedics attempted to revive the motorcyclist, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.
A Cumbria police spokesman confirmed the motorbike rider had died in the incident, which occurred at the junction of Birkett Drive and Urswick Road.
He said: “As a result of the collision, the motorcyclist received serious injuries and, despite the efforts of paramedics and local residents, was pronounced dead at the scene.”
The cyclist was flown by the North West Air Ambulance to Furness General Hospital with suspected arm and leg fractures. Both car drivers were uninjured.
Urswick Road, between the Birkett Drive and Meeting House Lane junctions, was closed for almost five hours while a police accident team carried out a scene investigation.
Police have said the identity of the motorcyclist will be revealed once family members have been contacted.
Police are asking any witnesses to contact PC 582 Phil Renney on 0845 3300 247.
Pat Appleton, co-ordinator of Croftlands Community Safety Group, said she wasn’t aware of any serious accidents on the road in the past.
She said: “I’m not aware of any accidents that have occurred there. But I know there have been a few issues with speeding vehicles. Obviously though, I’m not aware that speeding was a factor in this accident.”
Ulverston town councillor Jim Prosser, who lives on nearby Birkett Drive, said the police have tried to crack down on speeding problems in the area.
Cllr Prosser said: “We are plagued with speeding in Urswick Road. Residents have complained for some time and I as a councillor for the west of Ulverston have also complained myself. The police have tried and tried to curtail vehicles speeding, but it’s still really bad.”
First published at 13:33, Thursday, 29 September 2011
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Carlisle auctioneer to present BBC's Bargain Hunt
- Carlisle shop for sale with warning not to tell staff (18 comments)
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (14 comments)
- Dozens of operations cancelled at Carlisle hospital (15 comments)
- Dog suffers horrific injuries in attack on Carlisle street (14 comments)
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (8 comments)
- Cumbrian bakery lands huge cake deal with Costa Coffee chain (11 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (5 comments)
- Carlisle artist gets job to design AC/DC album motif on guitarist's coffin (2 comments)
- Carlisle Utd on the brink of 'exciting' new investment (26 comments)