Police confirm body found in Wastwater was missing diver
Last updated at 09:21, Wednesday, 30 January 2013
Police have confirmed that a body found in Wastwater yesterday (Tuesday) was that of a diver missing since Sunday afternoon.
Carl Andrew Morris, 39, of Broadgate, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, was diving with a group of people when he failed to surface.
His body was recovered by the North West Police Underwater Search Team during a major multi-agency search.
The search operation, involving a helicopter from RAF Valley and Cumbria police, Whitehaven Coastguard, Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service and Wasdale Mountain Rescue Team, got underway after the alarm was raised.
The police underwater search team, from Lancashire, searched the lake, the deepest in England, from 11pm on Sunday until 6.30am Monday before resuming later in the day.
Bad weather on Monday afternoon forced the search to be postponed until yesterday morning.
A joint investigation by police and the Health and Safety Executive into the circumstances of Mr Morris's death is underway.
First published at 14:41, Tuesday, 29 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Carlisle girl banned from lessons until she changes hair colour (204 comments)
- Last-day Carlisle Utd match alert over Bob Marley theme fans (61 comments)
- Carlisle billboard blunder 'funny' claims Labour candidate (68 comments)
- Carlisle city centre bandstand set to be replaced (34 comments)
- Park and ride plan to ease parking problems at Carlisle hospital (25 comments)