One-way scheme for Carlisle estate dropped
Last updated at 16:00, Monday, 26 March 2012
Plans for a one-way system in Carlisle’s Harraby estate have been dropped amid a lack of support and fears it may lead to speeding
A request for a one-way system in Whinsmoor Drive, Linden Terrace, Springfield Road and Allandale Road was tabled at a neighbourhood forum meeting in 2009.
It finally came to discussion at a meeting of Cumbria County Council’s Carlisle local committee late last week but they rejected the scheme.
They blamed a lack of support from residents and police concerns that it may encourage speeding because drivers wouldn’t have to worry about oncoming traffic. Officials sent consultation letters to nearly 370 households but received only 35 replies – 18 supported a one-way system, 10 were against while seven commented without giving an opinion.
The council also received a 45-signature petition backing the idea.
But a report to councillors said: “This is still a relatively low number on which an informed decision can be made, especially when a similar scheme was rejected by the committee some years ago.”
Objectors argued that residents would have to drive further, traffic speeds would increase and that a one-way system would do nothing to relieve parking problems.
The report added: “Whilst the police had no objections, they thought removing verges to create more parking would be a better option.
“And they made the comment that vehicle speeds would be likely to increase, should the street be made one way, as drivers know they will not meet opposing traffic.”
First published at 12:25, Monday, 26 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Story writes-off £1.1m loan to Carlisle Utd (24 comments)
- Carlisle club once sold for £2m fails to reach auction reserve
- Police confirm body found during search was missing pensioner
- Edinburgh Woollen Mill boss loses fight to clear his name
- Carlisle pensioner charged with child and animal pornography offences
- Man arrested after serious Carlisle car crash
- New department store for Carlisle's empty Hoopers building (25 comments)
- Record deal for Carlisle singer's X Factor group Only The Young
- Carlisle Utd legend’s heartbreak at daughter’s mystery death
- What’s in store as Paris comes to Carlisle at old Hoopers' site