One-way scheme for Carlisle estate dropped
Last updated at 16:00, Monday, 26 March 2012
Plans for a one-way system in Carlisle’s Harraby estate have been dropped amid a lack of support and fears it may lead to speeding
A request for a one-way system in Whinsmoor Drive, Linden Terrace, Springfield Road and Allandale Road was tabled at a neighbourhood forum meeting in 2009.
It finally came to discussion at a meeting of Cumbria County Council’s Carlisle local committee late last week but they rejected the scheme.
They blamed a lack of support from residents and police concerns that it may encourage speeding because drivers wouldn’t have to worry about oncoming traffic. Officials sent consultation letters to nearly 370 households but received only 35 replies – 18 supported a one-way system, 10 were against while seven commented without giving an opinion.
The council also received a 45-signature petition backing the idea.
But a report to councillors said: “This is still a relatively low number on which an informed decision can be made, especially when a similar scheme was rejected by the committee some years ago.”
Objectors argued that residents would have to drive further, traffic speeds would increase and that a one-way system would do nothing to relieve parking problems.
The report added: “Whilst the police had no objections, they thought removing verges to create more parking would be a better option.
“And they made the comment that vehicle speeds would be likely to increase, should the street be made one way, as drivers know they will not meet opposing traffic.”
First published at 12:25, Monday, 26 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- From Carlisle airport to New York for just £200? (23 comments)
- Farmfoods given consent for supermarket at Carlisle's Shaddongate (25 comments)
- Cumbria Pride crisis as Carlisle LGBT centre to close (53 comments)
- £6m primary school planned for Carlisle (18 comments)
- German firm unveils plans for huge solar park near Carlisle (4 comments)
- Residents want action over Silloth’s ‘nauseating’ pong (9 comments)
- Call for action after crash at accident 'blackspot' near Carlisle (29 comments)
- Carlisle's Labour Party backs Jeremy Corbyn leadership bid (32 comments)