North Cumbrian pensioner held on rape charge
Last updated at 12:05, Monday, 18 February 2013
A pensioner has been arrested on suspicion of raping a teenage girl.
Police said a man, 71, from Wigton, was held over a report at the weekend that a girl, also from north Allerdale, had been sexually assaulted “over a period of several months”.
Officers were immediately deployed to speak to the girl on Saturday, and carry out a number of forensic searches at a house in the Aspatria area. A police spokeswoman said: “The girl is being supported by family members and specially-trained officers at this time.”
The man was placed on bail until March 28 while inquiries continue.
First published at 12:03, Monday, 18 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Double the delight for singer Maddy Prior at Cumbria university graduation
- Carlisle auction of late TV celebrity's possessions
- Farmer’s wind turbine plan rejected by Eden councillors
- Major flaws found in heating systems at homes in Cumbrian town
- Celtic Nation in turmoil as owner sells, manager quits (16 comments)
- The big interview: Carlisle United’s supporters’ trust (17 comments)
- Go-ahead for 825 new homes at Morton in Carlisle (4 comments)
- Primark targets site for Carlisle city centre store (85 comments)
- Carlisle can't cope with any more budget supermarkets - claim (41 comments)
- Barrister buys historic Cumbrian hall to restore for son, 10 (14 comments)