North Cumbrian pensioner held on rape charge
Last updated at 12:05, Monday, 18 February 2013
A pensioner has been arrested on suspicion of raping a teenage girl.
Police said a man, 71, from Wigton, was held over a report at the weekend that a girl, also from north Allerdale, had been sexually assaulted “over a period of several months”.
Officers were immediately deployed to speak to the girl on Saturday, and carry out a number of forensic searches at a house in the Aspatria area. A police spokeswoman said: “The girl is being supported by family members and specially-trained officers at this time.”
The man was placed on bail until March 28 while inquiries continue.
First published at 12:03, Monday, 18 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Carlisle taxi drivers must pass spoken English test to get licence (8 comments)
- Carlisle council must cut £4.5m more from budget (21 comments)
- Free wifi network to launch in Carlisle city centre next week (14 comments)
- MPs press case to dual A69 road between Carlisle and Newcastle (30 comments)
- Man who scrapped Cumbrian on-street parking charges to quit (13 comments)