Woman left scarred for life after being hit by bottle in Carlisle bar
Published at 08:31, Friday, 16 March 2012
A woman has been left scarred for life after being hit in the face by a glass bottle on a night out.
Claire Twentyman, 28, was enjoying a friend’s birthday celebrations when she became the innocent victim as a fight broke out between a group of yobs in the same Carlisle bar.
Police believe a bottle was hurled during the violence, smashing into the face of the bystander, from Wigton, leaving a gash near her eye.
She was taken to the city’s Cumberland Infirmary for treatment. Police say she has recovered but the scar will be with her for the rest of her life.
Miss Twentyman was hit by the bottle when she was in Time Bar in Botchergate at about 12.50am on February 19.
She agreed to release the picture of her injuries nearly one month on from the attack in the hope that witnesses will come forward to help the police inquiry.
Detective Inspector Paul Marshall said: “We launched a full investigation to establish the circumstances surrounding this assault.
“It has left Miss Twentyman with scars that will remind her of her ordeal for the rest of her life.
“Our inquiries lead us to believe that a fight broke out between a group of males inside the premises.
“A glass bottle was thrown and, unfortunately, hit the innocent Miss Twentyman who was enjoying a birthday night out.
“I want to find who is responsible for this so that we can get justice for the victim.
“She has been very brave and supportive of our investigation and we hope the public’s reaction will be the same.”
DI Marshall said: “We need the help of the community and would urge witnesses or anyone with information to come forward."
Call Carlisle CID on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- BMX teens doing stunts on roof of Cumbrian school (1 comment)
- Your pond life is no match to majesty of our lakes (2 comments)
- Carlisle 'bypass' cutting congestion through city (17 comments)
- Luxury apartments plan in Cumbrian village (3 comments)
- Quarter of small Cumbrian businesses optimistic (2 comments)
In west Cumbria
- Boss of Cumbrian takeaway admits breaking immigration law
- Cumbrian rapist sentenced to 12 years in prison
- Anger as new homes approved despite 300 objections (42 comments)
- Public inquiry into plans for west Cumbria nuclear waste dump (12 comments)
- Athletics coach killed himself after child sex arrest
- Top doctor blasts his ‘frightening’ stay at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary
- North Cumbria farmers frustrated over bridge closure
- Carlisle school ‘still one of best’ despite Ofsted blow, claims head
- Carlisle city centre clothes shop closing down (33 comments)
- Carlisle bar to close for £500,000 facelift
- Ex-Liverpool wide-man signs for Carlisle Utd (25 comments)
- Carlisle council leader Joe Hendry has died (40 comments)
- Carlisle Utd back in Lee Miller talks (23 comments)
- Carlisle College gets planning go-ahead for £5.3m arts and media centre (6 comments)
- Parking free-for-all after yellow lines blunder (21 comments)