Wolf's Tooth ascent in Antarctica 'nailed' by Cumbrian adventurer Leo Houlding
Last updated at 09:00, Friday, 25 January 2013
Climber Leo Houlding has “nailed” his perilous ascent of one of the Antarctic’s most formidable peaks.
Leo, from Bolton, near Appleby, confirmed, on an answering machine message left with his sponsors, that he had reached the summit of Ulvetanna.
The 32-year-old phoned Chris Lines, of outdoor clothing firm Berghaus, who are sponsoring his expedition, from one of his satellite phones on Wednesday night to say that he had achieved his goal and that his team were safe and well.
Mr Lines said: “Leo left me a message saying ‘We nailed it!’ and that they were all well and back in camp in relative comfort.
“They are over the moon. “They have completed their objective: they have reached the north east ridge of Ulvetanna.
“I’m waiting for more details but I imagine they will be resting and recuperating.”
He added: “We’ll supply more details as they come in but a huge congratulations for the team.”
Mr Lines tried to call him back but the satellite phone had been switched off to conserve power.
The team was taking a new route to the top, which is 9,613ft above sea level.
They had planned to base jump back down but the wind conditions were too strong.
Ulvetanna, named after the Norwegian for wolf’s tooth, is the most technically demanding of the peaks on the continent.
The next task for the team will be to climb down from the Plateau of Great Expectations.
Blogs on Mr Houlding’s expedition can be found at the website of Berghaus – www.berghaus.com.
First published at 08:59, Friday, 25 January 2013
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (4 comments)
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (7 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (4 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (29 comments)
- Story writes-off £1.1m loan to Carlisle Utd (24 comments)
- Carlisle club once sold for £2m fails to reach auction reserve
- Police confirm body found during search was missing pensioner
- Edinburgh Woollen Mill boss loses fight to clear his name
- Carlisle pensioner charged with child and animal pornography offences
- Man arrested after serious Carlisle car crash
- New department store for Carlisle's empty Hoopers building (25 comments)
- Record deal for Carlisle singer's X Factor group Only The Young
- Carlisle Utd legend’s heartbreak at daughter’s mystery death
- What’s in store as Paris comes to Carlisle at old Hoopers' site