Windfarm pendulum starting to swing in Cumbria
Last updated at 14:01, Friday, 16 November 2012
An anti-windfarm campaigner believes more co-operation is yielding better results after three single-turbine applications were turned down.
The applications for turbines at Boltongate, Clea Mire and High Harrington were all refused and Marion Fitzgerald, chairwoman of Friends of Rural Cumbria’s Environment (FORCE) thinks it is a sign the pendulum is beginning to swing in the other direction.
Allerdale council planners recommended that plans for all three turbines be refused.
Anti-turbine protesters argued that the Boltongate turbine would have ruined the setting of the historic All Saints Church and impacted on a number of nearby homes.
Mrs Fitzgerald said: “We’re bringing together a lot of groups to fit different applications and to support each other.
“The meeting was very heartening and the cumulative impact of these turbines was talked about a lot.
“It’s taken two years for planners to refuse three applications so that was unprecedented.”
The three turbine applications were for a turbine at Clea Mire, Westward, Wigton, a 61m turbine at Boltongate and a 79.6m turbine at Charity Lane, High Harrington. There was also a wind energy application that involved a meteorological mast at Brackenridge, Maryport, as a similar mast already exists nearby.
There have now been more than 100 applications or screening opinion requests in Allerdale during 2012.
Campaigners will meet again on Thursday, November 29 at Rosley Village Hall.
First published at 13:59, Friday, 16 November 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (4 comments)
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (7 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (4 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (29 comments)
- Story writes-off £1.1m loan to Carlisle Utd (24 comments)
- Carlisle club once sold for £2m fails to reach auction reserve
- Police confirm body found during search was missing pensioner
- Edinburgh Woollen Mill boss loses fight to clear his name
- Carlisle pensioner charged with child and animal pornography offences
- Man arrested after serious Carlisle car crash
- New department store for Carlisle's empty Hoopers building (25 comments)
- Record deal for Carlisle singer's X Factor group Only The Young
- Carlisle Utd legend’s heartbreak at daughter’s mystery death
- What’s in store as Paris comes to Carlisle at old Hoopers' site