Tributes to Cumbria's former NFU national treasurer
Last updated at 15:11, Friday, 30 March 2012
Tributes have been paid to a dairy farmer and former NFU national treasurer who has died aged 75.
David Quayle’s funeral was held yesterday at St Andrew’s Church in Aikton following his death last week after a lengthy illness.
Mr Quayle, of Moordyke Farm in Wigton, rose through the NFU ranks from a young age, first becoming Wigton branch chairman in the early 1970s.
After several years representing his local area, he became a delegate on the national NFU council and from 1994 was national treasurer for six years.
His friend and fellow farmer Peter Allen said: “He would say, ‘I’m your rep – I’m not going to tell you what we’ve decided in London, I want you to tell me what you want London to hear’.
“He very quickly became established and well-respected. David was one of those people who could listen to people and very eloquently sum up what they were saying and what needed to be done about it.”
He also became chairman of the Farmers Club in London in 2003.
His wife Nicki later became the first woman to hold the post.
Former Carlisle NFU secretary Nick Utting told The Cumberland News: “He was so dedicated to the industry that everyone said he had milk running through his veins.”
He leaves his wife Nicki, their children, Ben and Doug, as well as three children from a previous marriage, John, Victoria and Susan.
First published at 14:11, Friday, 30 March 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
In west Cumbria
- West House loses cafe contract at hospital (18 comments)
- Church closed and declared unsafe as parts of ceiling fall down
- Go-ahead to turn former police station into restaurant
- Death of two-year-old Cumbrian boy was accident, says coroner
- First theft in 25 years may mean tighter security at Cumbrian museum
- £6m primary school planned for Carlisle (18 comments)
- German firm unveils plans for huge solar park near Carlisle (4 comments)
- Residents want action over Silloth’s ‘nauseating’ pong (9 comments)
- Call for action after crash at accident 'blackspot' near Carlisle (29 comments)
- Carlisle's Labour Party backs Jeremy Corbyn leadership bid (32 comments)