Tributes to Cumbria's former NFU national treasurer
Last updated at 15:11, Friday, 30 March 2012
Tributes have been paid to a dairy farmer and former NFU national treasurer who has died aged 75.
David Quayle’s funeral was held yesterday at St Andrew’s Church in Aikton following his death last week after a lengthy illness.
Mr Quayle, of Moordyke Farm in Wigton, rose through the NFU ranks from a young age, first becoming Wigton branch chairman in the early 1970s.
After several years representing his local area, he became a delegate on the national NFU council and from 1994 was national treasurer for six years.
His friend and fellow farmer Peter Allen said: “He would say, ‘I’m your rep – I’m not going to tell you what we’ve decided in London, I want you to tell me what you want London to hear’.
“He very quickly became established and well-respected. David was one of those people who could listen to people and very eloquently sum up what they were saying and what needed to be done about it.”
He also became chairman of the Farmers Club in London in 2003.
His wife Nicki later became the first woman to hold the post.
Former Carlisle NFU secretary Nick Utting told The Cumberland News: “He was so dedicated to the industry that everyone said he had milk running through his veins.”
He leaves his wife Nicki, their children, Ben and Doug, as well as three children from a previous marriage, John, Victoria and Susan.
First published at 14:11, Friday, 30 March 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (28 comments)
- Yobs slaughter animals in sick allotment attack (38 comments)
- Carlisle can't cope with any more budget supermarkets - claim (41 comments)
- Our princely friend helps us to realise we are special
- Carlisle's Civic Centre could be knocked down (86 comments)
- The big interview: Carlisle United’s supporters’ trust (17 comments)
- Go-ahead for 825 new homes at Morton in Carlisle (4 comments)
- Primark targets site for Carlisle city centre store (85 comments)
- Unitary authority for Cumbria plan back on table (20 comments)