Thieves target old Land Rovers in Cumbria
Last updated at 14:17, Friday, 05 July 2013
Land Rover Defenders are proving to be among the hottest wheels for car thieves in Cumbria.
Police say there have been eight thefts of this type of vehicle in the county since January.
Older models, particularly those manufactured between 1990 and 2005, are being targeted.
But police say any age Defender is at risk.
Cumbria is the fourth police force in the country to issue a warning to owners of Defender vehicles.
A spokesman said it was thought thieves were targeting older models which did not have immobilisers.
One reason is they could be dismantled for spare parts.
Police have also said the vehicles were being targeted, either to use in crime or sell abroad.
“We are warning the rural and farming communities to be aware of this emerging national trend, which is being repeated in Cumbria,” said the spokesman.
“It is particularly worrying as eight vehicles have been stolen, mostly from the Eden Valley, Appleby, Kirkby Lonsdale and Sedburgh areas.”
But, said police, any area is at risk from these thefts.
Officers are urging owners to be vigilant.
The spokesman added: “Installing a tracker device is becoming cheaper and using a property marking product on vehicle parts, so that stolen parts can be more easily traced are two good security measures.”
Suspicious activity can be reported to police on 101.
First published at 14:04, Friday, 05 July 2013
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
In west Cumbria
- Vandals wreak havoc after breaking into school building
- Energy minister hints at cash for transport improvements in west Cumbria (2 comments)
- Councillors banned from talking to press for 'own protection' (10 comments)
- Prison term for banned driver who led Cumbria police on 25-mile chase
- West House loses cafe contract at hospital (19 comments)
- Stagecoach cuts prices on bus journeys in Carlisle
- New owner for Carlisle's Stepping Stones Nursery
- Two former north Cumbrian pubs to be sold at auction
- Couple reveal plans to restore village pub to its former glory
- Driver's anger at parking charge - after buying ticket on Carlisle car park (25 comments)