Sadness over theft of children's carvings from Carlisle park
Last updated at 14:35, Friday, 07 December 2012
The chairwoman of a park’s friends’ group hopes thieves who stole artwork created by children will be shamed into returning them.
Wood carvings were stolen from Chances Park in Morton, Carlisle, just days after they were put in place.
They had been created by children from Newlaithes Junior School – who had been working with wood sculptor Alister Neville – and inserted into the remains of a dead beech tree, known as the fairy tree
Work was commissioned by the Friends of Chances Park and cost about £400.
Chairman Iris Rogan said: “They were put in with Allen keys and bolts.
“They were so nice in the park – so nice that someone must have thought they would be good for their own garden.
“I just hope that if they hear that children have done the work that they might bring them back.
“It’s quite sad, really, with all of the hard work that’s gone into creating them.
“We have been doing so much work and everything has gone so well in the park, so this is a shame.”
Police are investigating the theft of the carvings, which were put in place last Thursday. They had gone by Sunday.
The carvings feature images of a man, caterpillar and a beetle. Wooden toadstools made to go around the bottom of the tree were not taken in the theft.
A special launch had been planned with the carvings unveiled to the children after Christmas.
At the Friends of Chances Park’s annual general meeting this week, Mrs Rogan thanked all involved in the park’s upkeep for their work and those who had put time and effort into organising events there.
Highlights included a popular horticultural fayre, a garden party to mark the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee, and a fairy day held as part of Love Parks Week.
Mrs Rogan said: “Our small band of volunteers help in so many ways. The most valuable thing anyone can give is time and we really appreciate it. We are always looking for new volunteers.”
She also encouraged anyone with thoughts and suggestions about the future of the park to get in-touch.
Anyone with information about the carvings theft should call police on 101.
First published at 14:14, Friday, 07 December 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
In west Cumbria
- Cumbrian ex-soldier accused of gun-running to stand trial in India
- The fight’s not over despite eviction, vows ranch row man
- Billionaire owner aiming to turn Cumbrian brewer into global brand
- Campaign launched to save Cumbrian town's last bank
- Carlisle Utd new recruit aiming to make up for lost time
- Row brewing over plans for 50 new homes in Wetheral (3 comments)