Police hunt yobs after newly-planted trees vandalised in Dalston
Last updated at 09:27, Tuesday, 12 February 2013
Police are on the trail of vandals who hacked down two oak saplings within days of them being planted at the village green in Dalston.
Councillor Bryan Craig, the chairman of Dalston parish council, said they were planted on February 1 and the damage was first noticed last Tuesday.
They were planted to complement another English oak tree which was placed there to mark the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee and police believe the culprits used a saw to attack the saplings.
Mr Craig said the saplings were between 1.5m and 2m tall and a protective fence was placed around them. He added: “I got a call on Tuesday evening saying someone had cut them off around 400mm above ground level. They were sawn off – kids wouldn’t normally do that.
“That area is very well-used, there are probably 100 dog walkers a day, and it is overlooked by people.”
Mr Craig said he wanted to make people aware of what had happened. He added: “I want to make the public aware of what has happened and for them to keep an eye open.
“I don’t know what to make of the people who have done this. It’s not unbelievable, we do get odd things in the village like vandalism, but it is annoying because it is public money.”
A Cumbria police spokeswoman said the trees had been planted to enhance the area and the damage would prevent any regrowth – effectively killing the plants.
She added that it was a ‘mindless act of vandalism’. “Police are investigating and would like to speak to anybody who may have information about this.”
Anyone with any information is urged to contact PC Louise Mitchell, at Brampton Police Station, on 101.
First published at 09:25, Tuesday, 12 February 2013
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (7 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (4 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (28 comments)
- Carlisle can't cope with any more budget supermarkets - claim (41 comments)
In west Cumbria
- Warning as 1,800 council jobs hang in the balance (66 comments)
- 40 new jobs on cards as KFC plans Carlisle drive-through (3 comments)
- 'Parking charges will ruin a lot of people’s livelihoods,’ says Carlisle trader (38 comments)
- Work to start 'within weeks' on new supermarket in Carlisle (22 comments)
- Anger over plan to charge £20 to park outside your home in Cumbria (69 comments)