Plans to build 74 new homes in north Cumbrian town
Last updated at 14:02, Friday, 16 November 2012
Plans have been unveiled to build 74 new homes in Wigton.
Land off King Street has been earmarked for development by North Homes Limited, a firm based in the town.
An application to build the homes has been lodged with Allerdale council.
Carlisle-based chartered town planners Taylor & Hardy are acting on the applicant’s behalf. Bob Taylor, principle planner at the company, said the proposals were at an early stage.
He added: “The site will connect with the fabric of the town and will be separated from the conservation area by trees. I think in overall landscaping terms it’s a pretty discreet site.
“The site is quite close to the town centre and it’s seen very much as a further extension of existing development.”
The site is currently agricultural grazing land and is approximately 3.5 hectares, with the railway line lying 150 yards to the north.
Although there are protected species, including geese, swans and great crested newts near to the area, there are no specific ecological designations within 1.2 miles.
Regarding the proposed development, an Allerdale council statement on the planning document states: “It is considered that the proposal does not constitute major development of more than local importance.
“Further, the development itself is not considered to have unusually complex or potentially hazardous environmental effect in terms of any processing or emissions.
“As such, it is the opinion of the Local Planning Authority that the proposed development does not constitute environmental impact assessment (EIA) and an EIA is not required to be submitted with any application for planning permission.”
At this stage the application is for 26 two-bedroom houses, 21 three-bedroom houses, and 14 houses with four or more bedrooms.
In terms of social rented accommodation, there would be eight two-bedroom buildings and five three-bedroom buildings.
The potential project is not the only housing scheme planned for Wigton.
Story Homes has planning permission for 22 new homes at Grange View.
First published at 14:01, Friday, 16 November 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (7 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (28 comments)
- Yobs slaughter animals in sick allotment attack (38 comments)
- Carlisle can't cope with any more budget supermarkets - claim (41 comments)
In west Cumbria
- New Story Homes estate would leave us hemmed in, claim Carlisle residents
- Deep clean to spruce up Carlisle city centre streets (14 comments)
- Carlisle city centre to get free wifi (26 comments)
- Carlisle Utd should offer manager job to McDonald (14 comments)
- Carr's Table Water biscuits lose Royal stamp of approval (16 comments)