Our Cumbria survey: High cost of fuel is biggest challenge
Last updated at 13:17, Wednesday, 06 February 2013
Crippling fuel prices have come top in a poll of the biggest challenges people face, according to a survey of Cumbria’s hopes and fears for 2013.
Download (.pdf): Our Cumbria survey results page 1
Download (.pdf): Our Cumbria survey results page 2
Nearly one in two people responding to a survey carried out by The Cumberland News said the cost of filling up would be the chief problem they would have to deal with in the coming year.
This was one of a string of results to an in-depth questionnaire carried out to find out Cumbrian people’s thoughts for 2013.
When asked what would be the biggest challenge in the year ahead, 12 per cent said soaring food prices, 23 per cent claimed it would be adapting quickly to changing circumstances, while 44 per cent highlighted fuel prices.
Cumbrian truck boss John Stamper said this was “definitely” his biggest worry as a businessman, adding fuel costs had a big impact on profits.
“We are really struggling with fuel prices,” said the owner of Kirkbride company RI Stamper Haulage Ltd.
“Fuel relates to everything that we move and work with, it affects everybody, whether you’re running a haulage firm or you’re putting the kids in the car to go to school or you’re going to the shops.
“Going back it was about 35 per cent of our running costs, then it was up to 45 per cent last year. It’s more than 50 per cent now.”
First published at 13:15, Wednesday, 06 February 2013
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Hopes of reviving Cumbria Day (3 comments)
- £4.8m Star of Caledonia artwork to be unveiled - in miniature (6 comments)
- Report urges Cumbria to seek stronger links with Scotland (14 comments)
- Don’t look here for fracking desolation, Lord Howell (2 comments)
- Carlisle car salesman told to move vehicles 'stored' on village field
- Campaigner who says sheep wreck Cumbrian fells faces farmers (5 comments)
- Speed limit lowered on Carlisle bypass 'rat runs' (35 comments)
- Carlisle gears up for house-building boom
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with