Lightning strike leaves Carlisle charity with repairs headache
Last updated at 15:43, Friday, 13 July 2012
A lightning strike has caused an estimated £10,000 of damage to a charity’s Carlisle headquarters.
The building housing the city’s Samaritans branch on Botchergate was struck by a fork of lightning – blowing electrical equipment.
It left damage estimated at about £5,000 to the building’s lift system alone, as well as triggering fire alarms and affecting its CCTV system.
The lightning is thought to have struck the building’s chimney pot. People were working in the building at the time, but no-one was hurt when the strike happened, last Thursday afternoon.
Mike Whelan, director of Carlisle Samaritans, said: “Everyone was okay. They were just taken aback by the noise and the effect of the strike.”
Although there was some slight early disruption to one of the lines into Carlisle Samaritans as a result of the strike, the service from the city has continued to operate as normal.
First published at 14:06, Friday, 13 July 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (7 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (28 comments)
- Yobs slaughter animals in sick allotment attack (38 comments)
- Carlisle can't cope with any more budget supermarkets - claim (41 comments)
In west Cumbria
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (38 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (27 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (14 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (54 comments)
- American TV series being filmed at Carlisle Castle
- New Story Homes estate would leave us hemmed in, claim Carlisle residents
- Deep clean to spruce up Carlisle city centre streets (14 comments)
- Carlisle city centre to get free wifi (26 comments)
- Carlisle Utd should offer manager job to McDonald (14 comments)
- Carr's Table Water biscuits lose Royal stamp of approval (16 comments)