Inquiry into bid for new Cumbrian windfarm
Last updated at 15:01, Friday, 07 December 2012
A wind turbine development is the subject of a public inquiry which takes place next week.
The proposed project would be built outside Longtown. It is for nine turbines at Beck Burn peat works, north of the A6071.
This was rejected last year after an objection from the Ministry of Defence (MoD).
The department claimed ‘seismic noise’ would affect equipment at their site at Eskdalemuir, near Langholm, which records data relating to the nuclear test ban treaty.
EDF Energy, the applicant, believes a modified proposal could address this issue. If approved, it would be one of the tallest windfarms in the country with turbines 413ft high.
The inquiry starts at Carlisle’s Civic Centre on Tuesday.
It is the second inquiry into a proposed wind turbine development in the area.
The other, for six turbines at Hallburn Farm, started in October and was adjourned until this month. The development may be discussed at the hearings next week.
Final submissions on both proposals are scheduled to be heard from Wednesday, December 19 until Friday, December 21.
Eileen Naude, of Esk Bank, Longtown, who opposes both proposals, encouraged as many people as possible to attend the hearing. “It would be great if we could get a good turnout,” she said.
First published at 14:00, Friday, 07 December 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (7 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (4 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (28 comments)
- Carlisle can't cope with any more budget supermarkets - claim (41 comments)
In west Cumbria
- Story Homes pledges to fund village school if new Carlisle estate approved (15 comments)
- Brave Cumbrian woman plans her bucket list
- Cumbrian graduate is making some NOISE in House of Commons
- Director wants help to film horror movie in north Cumbria
- Carlisle man refused benefits - for the sake of £3 NI shortfall
- Warning as 1,800 council jobs hang in the balance (83 comments)
- 40 new jobs on cards as KFC plans Carlisle drive-through (4 comments)
- 'Parking charges will ruin a lot of people’s livelihoods,’ says Carlisle trader (38 comments)
- Work to start 'within weeks' on new supermarket in Carlisle (22 comments)
- Anger over plan to charge £20 to park outside your home in Cumbria (69 comments)