Inquiry into bid for new Cumbrian windfarm
Last updated at 15:01, Friday, 07 December 2012
A wind turbine development is the subject of a public inquiry which takes place next week.
The proposed project would be built outside Longtown. It is for nine turbines at Beck Burn peat works, north of the A6071.
This was rejected last year after an objection from the Ministry of Defence (MoD).
The department claimed ‘seismic noise’ would affect equipment at their site at Eskdalemuir, near Langholm, which records data relating to the nuclear test ban treaty.
EDF Energy, the applicant, believes a modified proposal could address this issue. If approved, it would be one of the tallest windfarms in the country with turbines 413ft high.
The inquiry starts at Carlisle’s Civic Centre on Tuesday.
It is the second inquiry into a proposed wind turbine development in the area.
The other, for six turbines at Hallburn Farm, started in October and was adjourned until this month. The development may be discussed at the hearings next week.
Final submissions on both proposals are scheduled to be heard from Wednesday, December 19 until Friday, December 21.
Eileen Naude, of Esk Bank, Longtown, who opposes both proposals, encouraged as many people as possible to attend the hearing. “It would be great if we could get a good turnout,” she said.
First published at 14:00, Friday, 07 December 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (4 comments)
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (7 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (4 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (29 comments)
- Man arrested after serious Carlisle car crash
- New department store for Carlisle's empty Hoopers building (26 comments)
- Carlisle club once sold for £2m fails to reach auction reserve
- Record deal for Carlisle singer's X Factor group Only The Young
- Story writes-off £1.1m loan to Carlisle Utd (32 comments)