Hair’s my Christmas gift
Published at 11:28, Monday, 24 December 2012
AT CHRISTMAS time it’s better to give than to receive.
And one little girl in Brampton has given an extra special Christmas present – her hair.
Hannah McConville had her locks cut off for the first time in two years on her ninth birthday. They will now be used to make a wig for a child without any hair following medical treatment.
She has been sponsored to do this and has, so far, raised more than £1,000.
A newly bobbed Hannah told the News & Star: “It feels a little different. When I look at pictures of me with long hair it looks a lot different.”
She decided to give her hair to the charity – the Little Princess Trust, which produces the wigs – after Janice Grieves, a local hairdresser gave a talk on it at her school. There are little kids who can’t grow hair and they don’t feel nice,” said Hannah. “I donated mine so they can look nice.” Her mum, Donna, 35, said: “All of her friends want to have it done now.
“I am really proud that she has gone through with it.”
Because Hannah’s birthday (Thursday, December 20) falls so close to Christmas, she usually does not have a separate birthday party.
But thanks to her efforts, this year she visited a soft play centre in Carlisle as a special treat.
The haircut took around an hour.
It was carried out by Janice, at her shop Hairport, on Main Street, Brampton.
“She was really nervous but when she was having it done two of her friends came with her,” she said.
“They wanted to have their hair cut off so it looks like I will be doing some more.”
She added: “It was just the same as cutting anybody else’s hair.”
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
In west Cumbria
- West House loses cafe contract at hospital (18 comments)
- Church closed and declared unsafe as parts of ceiling fall down
- Go-ahead to turn former police station into restaurant
- Death of two-year-old Cumbrian boy was accident, says coroner
- First theft in 25 years may mean tighter security at Cumbrian museum
- £6m primary school planned for Carlisle (18 comments)
- German firm unveils plans for huge solar park near Carlisle (4 comments)
- Residents want action over Silloth’s ‘nauseating’ pong (9 comments)
- Call for action after crash at accident 'blackspot' near Carlisle (29 comments)
- Carlisle's Labour Party backs Jeremy Corbyn leadership bid (32 comments)