Funeral of Carlisle United fan Jacky, 91
Published at 14:15, Friday, 04 January 2013
THE funeral will take place on Monday of Carlisle United stalwart John ‘Jacky’ Notman.
Mr Notman, who watched his first Blues match in 1927 when he was just six, died on Christmas Eve aged 91. A retired bookmaker, he only missed a match when he was visiting family at Christmas.
Mr Notman’s love of Carlisle United has passed to his daughter Linda Whalley, who lives in High Wycombe, and her son Joseph.
“We always plan our holidays to Cumbria to coincide with the Blues’ first home game of the season,” she said.
BBC Radio Cumbria’s Val Armstrong was Mr Notman’s friend and neighbour for 10 years, accompanying him to many matches.
“He was a lovely, kind, gentle man who loved his football,” she said. “He had a wonderful dry sense of humour.”
In his 85 years as a fan, he saw United rise to the top of the Football League in 1974 – and drop out of it altogether in 2004. He also saw more than 40 changes of manager.
His funeral will be held at Carlisle Crematorium at 2.20pm.
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (7 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (4 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (28 comments)
- Carlisle can't cope with any more budget supermarkets - claim (41 comments)
In west Cumbria
- Brave Cumbrian woman plans her bucket list
- Story Homes pledges to fund village school if new Carlisle estate approved (14 comments)
- Cumbrian graduate is making some NOISE in House of Commons
- Director wants help to film horror movie in north Cumbria
- Carlisle man refused benefits - for the sake of £3 NI shortfall
- Warning as 1,800 council jobs hang in the balance (83 comments)
- 40 new jobs on cards as KFC plans Carlisle drive-through (4 comments)
- 'Parking charges will ruin a lot of people’s livelihoods,’ says Carlisle trader (38 comments)
- Work to start 'within weeks' on new supermarket in Carlisle (22 comments)
- Anger over plan to charge £20 to park outside your home in Cumbria (69 comments)