Former Cumbrian bank building set to become pub and restaurant
Last updated at 14:31, Friday, 23 November 2012
A brewer is creating a new pub and restaurant in a former bank building.
Stuart Richardson, of Silloth-based Derwent Brewery, says he is excited about the prospect of opening the new business in Aspatria.
He estimates that work is three-quarters complete on the restaurant and coffee bar, which will bew called The Vaults.
But an opening date has yet to be confirmed.
Mr Richardson said: “We’ll be making dinner-time meals and serving real ales as well.
“We’ve got to get it past building inspectors but I’d like it to be open as soon as possible.”
Planning permission has been approved by Allerdale Council for the restaurant, which will open in the former HSBC bank on King Street.
It will have two dining rooms for customers.
Some residents have voiced concerns about the plans with some suggesting that another alcohol licensed premises would have an effect on the sustainability of businesses within the town.
The former Fox & Hounds pub was recently converted into residential properties after sitting empty for a number of years. But Mr Richardson said: “I don’t think the competition will be a problem.
“It’ll be more of a restaurant than a pub. I think it will be handy for people because it’s right beside the Co-op.”
The pub-restaurant, which was bought at auction after the bank closed, will be allowed to open between 8.30am and 11pm on Mondays to Fridays, from 8.30am until 11.30pm on weekends and bank holidays.
Conditions have been put in place to ensure that noise from the establishment does not exceed a reasonable level and customers do not sit outside after 9pm.
First published at 14:26, Friday, 23 November 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (7 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (28 comments)
- Yobs slaughter animals in sick allotment attack (38 comments)
- Carlisle can't cope with any more budget supermarkets - claim (41 comments)
In west Cumbria
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (37 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (42 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (14 comments)
- Neil McDonald out of the race to be Carlisle Utd manager
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (55 comments)
- New Story Homes estate would leave us hemmed in, claim Carlisle residents
- Deep clean to spruce up Carlisle city centre streets (14 comments)
- Carlisle city centre to get free wifi (26 comments)
- Carlisle Utd should offer manager job to McDonald (14 comments)
- Carr's Table Water biscuits lose Royal stamp of approval (16 comments)