Force farewell to Cumbria wildlife crime fighter
Last updated at 14:53, Friday, 14 December 2012
Cumbria Police has appointed a new officer to investigate wildlife crime.
PC Helen Felton, who has been a police officer for four years and was previously a police community support officer, will take over the job from PC John Shaw.
PC Shaw will retire on December 14 after two years in the highly specialist role but 26 years as a police officer. He was recognised for his outstanding commitment to detecting wildlife crime and pursuing criminals in 2011 when he received the National Wildlife Crime Enforcer of the Year award. Since his appointment, detection rates for recorded wildlife crime have soared by 800 per cent.
He said: “I have really enjoyed the role, which is very challenging and requires a lot of knowledge and hard work. I am fortunate to live and work in an idyllic county that is filled with beautiful countryside and wildlife. Crimes against nature can be cruel, distressing and often mindless so it is important that it is reported to police and investigated thoroughly.”
PC Felton said: “I am very happy and excited to have been given the opportunity to become the dedicated wildlife officer. PC Shaw’s shoes will be difficult to fill and I hope that I will be able to carry on the hard work that he started in raising the profile of wildlife crime.”
First published at 14:45, Friday, 14 December 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (4 comments)
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (7 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (4 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (29 comments)
- Man arrested after serious Carlisle car crash
- New department store for Carlisle's empty Hoopers building (26 comments)
- Carlisle club once sold for £2m fails to reach auction reserve
- Record deal for Carlisle singer's X Factor group Only The Young
- Story writes-off £1.1m loan to Carlisle Utd (32 comments)