Force farewell to Cumbria wildlife crime fighter
Last updated at 14:53, Friday, 14 December 2012
Cumbria Police has appointed a new officer to investigate wildlife crime.
PC Helen Felton, who has been a police officer for four years and was previously a police community support officer, will take over the job from PC John Shaw.
PC Shaw will retire on December 14 after two years in the highly specialist role but 26 years as a police officer. He was recognised for his outstanding commitment to detecting wildlife crime and pursuing criminals in 2011 when he received the National Wildlife Crime Enforcer of the Year award. Since his appointment, detection rates for recorded wildlife crime have soared by 800 per cent.
He said: “I have really enjoyed the role, which is very challenging and requires a lot of knowledge and hard work. I am fortunate to live and work in an idyllic county that is filled with beautiful countryside and wildlife. Crimes against nature can be cruel, distressing and often mindless so it is important that it is reported to police and investigated thoroughly.”
PC Felton said: “I am very happy and excited to have been given the opportunity to become the dedicated wildlife officer. PC Shaw’s shoes will be difficult to fill and I hope that I will be able to carry on the hard work that he started in raising the profile of wildlife crime.”
First published at 14:45, Friday, 14 December 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- BMX teens doing stunts on roof of Cumbrian school (1 comment)
- Your pond life is no match to majesty of our lakes (2 comments)
- Carlisle 'bypass' cutting congestion through city (17 comments)
- Luxury apartments plan in Cumbrian village (3 comments)
- Quarter of small Cumbrian businesses optimistic (2 comments)
- New landmark building planned for Botchergate in Carlisle (25 comments)
- Cumbrian garage owner selling up due to supermarket competition (11 comments)
- Damning report reveals distressing scenes at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (72 comments)
- Talkin Tarn hotel for sale - again (2 comments)
- Carlisle United survey: Results in full (23 comments)