Food bank to open at Wigton church
Published at 11:20, Wednesday, 15 May 2013
A food bank distribution centre to help people in crisis will open in Wigton.
The North Lakes Foodbank (NLF) centre will open at the town’s Methodist Church on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 10am and midday.
The NLF gives out more than 1.5 tonnes of food a month and its aim is to bring people together and exchange vouchers for food.
The organisation already feeds 350 people from food banks in Allerdale and Copeland. Jessie Hendry, project co-ordinator of the North Lakes Foodbank, said: “Our mission is simple – it is about the community working together.”
People in need are given vouchers which entitle them to three days of nutritionally-balanced food for a person, couple, or family.
The vouchers can be obtained from care professionals across the county.
The food is donated by individuals at collection points.
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (4 comments)
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (7 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (4 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (29 comments)
- New department store for Carlisle's empty Hoopers building (25 comments)
- Planning go-ahead for Cumbria council's new £10m HQ (34 comments)
- 'We're hidden in full view because we look like the guy next door' (16 comments)