Food bank to open at Wigton church
Published at 11:20, Wednesday, 15 May 2013
A food bank distribution centre to help people in crisis will open in Wigton.
The North Lakes Foodbank (NLF) centre will open at the town’s Methodist Church on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 10am and midday.
The NLF gives out more than 1.5 tonnes of food a month and its aim is to bring people together and exchange vouchers for food.
The organisation already feeds 350 people from food banks in Allerdale and Copeland. Jessie Hendry, project co-ordinator of the North Lakes Foodbank, said: “Our mission is simple – it is about the community working together.”
People in need are given vouchers which entitle them to three days of nutritionally-balanced food for a person, couple, or family.
The vouchers can be obtained from care professionals across the county.
The food is donated by individuals at collection points.
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Hopes of reviving Cumbria Day (3 comments)
- £4.8m Star of Caledonia artwork to be unveiled - in miniature (6 comments)
- Report urges Cumbria to seek stronger links with Scotland (14 comments)
- Don’t look here for fracking desolation, Lord Howell (2 comments)
- Carlisle car salesman told to move vehicles 'stored' on village field
- Campaigner who says sheep wreck Cumbrian fells faces farmers (5 comments)
- Speed limit lowered on Carlisle bypass 'rat runs' (35 comments)
- Carlisle gears up for house-building boom
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with